Cincy HBT Group Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearcat Brewmeister

Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday, alowishus, adrock, and I had a Cincy area HBT group brew. Neither of them had done an AG batch before, so it was their inaugural batch. We met at Listermann's on Thursday to get ingredients. Based on hops I had available, we decided on an American Ale and went with amber so that we could try some extra grains that we maybe could use that we wouldn't put into a pale (or at least a greater quantity of them). Their batch was 11 gallons which they split and I made my Porter recipe. For their AAA, I had a basic recipe in mind, but gave them a few either/or decisions and some yes/no decisions on ingredients that they made by smelling and tasting the grains. Here is their recipe:

16 pounds American 2 row
1 pound Crystal 40L
2 pounds Munich dark (chosen over Munich light and Vienna)
1 pound Melanoidin (chose to add over Belgian Aromatic)
0.5 pounds Crystal 120L (chosen over Special B)
0.5 pounds Pale Chocolate (chosen to add)

Hops were Columbus for bittering, and flavor/aroma hops were Summit, Simcoe, and Amarillo. Yeast was 1056.

IMG_0002.jpg

adrock & alowishus

IMG_0003.jpg

Bearcat Brewmeister

IMG_0001.jpg

The limits of FlexForce bags have been found

Several glasses of homebrew were exchanged and despite a few minor glitches here and there, a good time was had by all.

Who's that sexy guy with the blue fleece?

Oh, that's me.........Why didn't you guys tell me I was so damn good-looking?

Seriously though, we had a great time; particularly after a couple glasses of apfelwein and some of Bearcat Brewmeister's draft brew. As mentioned above, I had never made an AG batch before, but I'm now making a potential shopping list to compile a setup as sweet as BB's. I'm compulsive like that.

Next thing you know, I'll be quitting my job and brewing for the masses! If only I could get the wife on board with that idea...........

Latest posts

Back