eastern new mexico/west texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaksha808

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with growing hops in this area?? I'm trying to do some research on it but with the high winds we experiance here im concerned about how viable it would be. Any information would help.
Thanks!

Im hoping to get mine in next week as well, I have a couple of raised beds that ive built for the hops... now im just going to try and do some eye bolts into my house.... lol

Also... any help if I am going to kill my hops before I start would be much appreciated... soil in the boxes will be 1cuft of peat moss, 7cuft of soil/fertilizer mix, each box is 3'x3'x1' and will hold three of the same hops. I will be using the ideas I have seen people do with the apartment growing as it is extremely windy here and building a tall trellis would not be viable. Please let me know

Well, so far my Columbus has made it out of the ground! ! Granted is like maybe half an inch tall right now. ... But I am hopeful, pictures to follow

Question...
Im thinking about using t-posts on the corners of my boxes and tying string around them, the are 3x3 boxes. What I'm thinking about doing is going up about a foot every side so that ill still have upward growth but not straight up... would this be a viable plan? Every side will end up being a foot higher than the last, so by the end of it they will have only gone 6' but in reality they would have gone 18'

Update so far,
The Columbus has gone simply crazy as of right now, we have had slight issues with the weather by it having random cold spells that are not normal for this area. I have lost the Fuggles cause of the weather i think... the cascade and centennial is going pretty well right now, and the tennang is doing much better than i had hopped

Another update... just had a huge hail storm... couldn't do anything to protect any of my plants... do i need to worry about them being dead? if i could get any information it would be very helpful, im already looking for new plants to replace them

alright, i have 2 pictures. the first is, of hops that i harvested today, and the other is of a different hops that is having issues... im unsure as to what type.

Back