Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one for sure; mine, yesterday

the DB Vienna Lager was meh. I still want to try their 8-Point IPA

The 8-Point is okay. In my opinion, the Vienna lager is a much better representation of it's style than the 8-Point. You should try to make it down to the brewpub some day. The variety of beers is great. I'm a big fan of the Ale of Fergus.

The 8-Point is okay. In my opinion, the Vienna lager is a much better representation of it's style than the 8-Point. You should try to make it down to the brewpub some day. The variety of beers is great. I'm a big fan of the Ale of Fergus.

thinking that it's gotta be the style that I find "meh"

I still have to make it to the Lost Rhino right down the street. DB & Starr Hill are on my brewpub bucket list

and Dogfish Head has an alehouse in the next town over. still never had a DFH, even a 60-minute

thinking that it's gotta be the style that I find "meh"

I still have to make it to the Lost Rhino right down the street. DB & Starr Hill are on my brewpub bucket list

and Dogfish Head has an alehouse in the next town over. still never had a DFH, even a 60-minute

The alehouse has pretty good food too. I always try a different sample from their beer list when I go. Some are good, some are strange, and some are very complex

The alehouse has pretty good food too. I always try a different sample from their beer list when I go. Some are good, some are strange, and some are very complex

the BigHair asks, "so, where do you want to go for your birthday (in 2 weeks), Dogfish Head?"

hmmmm...

"good, strange, complex" - which ones are all three?

I had a friend's father tell me, "stick to your day job," after drinking a (IMO) fantastic chocolate oatmeal stout. I asked him what he didn't like about it. He tells me that it doesn't taste like anything he likes. After getting a list of said beers, Bud, Busch, Mich Ultra...I decided it's best if I don't drop any more beer off there. Ever.

I had a friend's father tell me, "stick to your day job," after drinking a (IMO) fantastic chocolate oatmeal stout. I asked him what he didn't like about it. He tells me that it doesn't taste like anything he likes. After getting a list of said beers, Bud, Busch, Mich Ultra...I decided it's best if I don't drop any more beer off there. Ever.

Next time pee in a bottle, force carb and serve.

It will give you both what you want. You get revenge for the insult on you...

and the flavor profile of the beer he loves. :D

Mojzis said:

Just make sure you don't drink an IPA or anything too flavorful first. You don't want any of that nasty hop flavor in the final product.

Mojzis said:

We did this my freshman year of college with a friends IBC Root Beer. Filled her up, dropped in some dry ice, recapped, and put it back in the fridge. Turns out dry ice actually worked for carbonating it. I guess we got lucky that we didn't make a urine bottle bomb in the process. At the end of the day we decided we should probably warn him right as he lifted the bottle to his lips. He was not impressed with our ingenuity...

Ryush806 said:
We did this my freshman year of college with a friends IBC Root Beer. Filled her up, dropped in some dry ice, recapped, and put it back in the fridge. Turns out dry ice actually worked for carbonating it. I guess we got lucky that we didn't make a urine bottle bomb in the process. At the end of the day we decided we should probably warn him right as he lifted the bottle to his lips. He was not impressed with our ingenuity...

I just had a horrifying thought - what if it had been over pressurized and caused a gusher when he opened it? Hilarious and at the same time, Eeewwwww ...

JonM said:
I just had a horrifying thought - what if it had been over pressurized and caused a gusher when he opened it? Hilarious and at the same time, Eeewwwww ...

Haha that would have been a terrible yet not quite the most disgusting event in the dorm that year. Like I said, we just got incredibly lucky with the amount of dry ice we used. Pure SWAG.

Last year the local pizza place had a keg of Stone Imperial Stout from 2007. I think I could stand to session that beer.....

From my bosses seed and flower catalogue. Apparently nugget hops add body to your beer!

ForumRunner_20130303_180756.png

Also, my boss asked if these hops would have enough enzymes to convert a bunch of old corn he has lying around for moonshine.

Krovitz said:
From my bosses seed and flower catalogue. Apparently nugget hops add body to your beer!

Also, my boss asked if these hops would have enough enzymes to convert a bunch of old corn he has lying around for moonshine.

Wow! I didn't know cascades were only supposed to be used to add flavor and aroma to light lagers. Here I've been using them wrong this whole time.

Wow! I didn't know cascades were only supposed to be used to add flavor and aroma to light lagers. Here I've been using them wrong this whole time.

I don't know who the hell wrote that thing,but they should get pimp slapped to make sure they're awake next time. Sheez...!

unionrdr said:
I don't know who the hell wrote that thing,but they should get pimp slapped to make sure they're awake next time. Sheez...!

Agreed

Krovitz said:

Wow that has to be one of the best I've read in this thread. Congrats cheer

A friend came over and tried some of my beer. After a while he said "wow I think I'm starting to get a little buzzed. Does this have alcohol just like real beer?" WTF????

I can't recall the number of times I someone refused to try one of my beers because it was 'too dark'. This includes, in at least one instance, a Saison that was perhaps all of 6 SRM.

I was in a restaurant in auburn Alabama and the menu listed domestic and imported beers. Sam Adams was listed under the imports!

I'm sure this will come up more in this thread, but yeah. When I first noticed Sam Adams under "imports", somebody told me it's because they were brewed in England.

Yeah... I have never returned to that establishment.

Also, in response to the "Guinness gets me drunk faster" crowd, I always get drunk "faster" off of Guinness than I do other beers. Of course, it probably has something to do with the shot of whiskey and irish cream that I drop into it.

My response to most people who know that non BMC beers have extra: ginger ale, alcohol (which makes them darker of course), banana peel, goat pee, voodoo witch magic, etc.

I, for one, would love to brew a goat pee voodoo witch magic beer.

Vigo_Carpathian said:
A friend came over and tried some of my beer. After a while he said "wow I think I'm starting to get a little buzzed. Does this have alcohol just like real beer?" WTF????

Haha. All this time you have been making FAKE beer with NO alcohol. ;)

I, for one, would love to brew a goat pee voodoo witch magic beer.
Well, you know there is that mead variant that includes milk. You could start with a goat milk beer. Not exactly goat pee, but it's a start. The whey that separates during the fermentation process is yellow. Then add a few herbs, rosemary, sage, maybe a few other things. I'd have to look up exactly what would be appropriate. That should cover the witch magic. I'm not quite sure how to pull off the voodoo part, but I've got some excellent references. If you really want to, I could probably find out for you? :fro:

So this just happened to me. I went to a local bar that just opened up because I heard they have a pretty decent beer selection.

Me: I'll take an Ithaca Flower Power (local IPA)
Bartender: Sure thing

As I wait for my change, a guy walks up next to me and takes a look at the taps. A second bartender shows up and asks him what he wants.

Bartender: What'll ya have?
Guy: Ithaca IPA please
Bartender: We don't have Ithaca IPA
Me (to the Guy): You want the flower power
Guy: No, I don't want that
Me: You said you wanted the Ithaca IPA, that's the Flower Power
Guy: No, I said I want the Ithaca Double IPA

(I'm pretty sure they don't even make a double IPA)

Me: You want the flower power, trust me.

The guy orders an Angry Orchard (hard cider)

I laughed to myself. I guess he thought a good alternative to a double IPA (that does not exist) is a hard cider.

the new place owned by Suds Factory? I find it funny they opened and didnt have their own beer on tap, even though I have never heard a good thing about it. I did hear they may be venturing away from extract brewing though!

the new place owned by Suds Factory? I find it funny they opened and didnt have their own beer on tap, even though I have never heard a good thing about it. I did hear they may be venturing away from extract brewing though!

Yes same place. I can't remember the last time I had Syracuse suds beer, but I remember not liking it

This happened a long time ago, but I just remembered about it.

I was at a local sports bar (known for their good cocktails) and noticed they had a Dark & Stormy on the drinks menu. There was no description... but it's never anything other than Ginger Beer and Black Rum.

Ginger Ale would have been disappointing, but acceptable. I actually had to ask what it was when it came - Bud Light and rum. That is the first and only time I sent back a beer.

This happened a long time ago, but I just remembered about it.

I was at a local sports bar (known for their good cocktails) and noticed they had a Dark & Stormy on the drinks menu. There was no description... but it's never anything other than Ginger Beer and Black Rum.

Ginger Ale would have been disappointing, but acceptable. I actually had to ask what it was when it came - Bud Light and rum. That is the first and only time I sent back a beer.

An acquaintance was drinking dark and stormys and after a few (don't know how many, lost count when she fell off the barstool) she wanted another and couldn't remember the name so she ordered a "Deep and Steamy".

Friend of mine used to get so tanked on Alabama Slammas that by the end of the night she'd be ordering "Bammer Schwammers"

I was looking around for gluten-free places to eat in the Wisconsin Dells, and got sidetracked by apparent microbrewery Moosejaw Pizza & Dells Brewing Co.

This description is copied directly from their website (bold is my emphasis):

Irish Stout
Brewed to be less heavy & bitter than a Guinness, this light-bodied brew has great flavor from roasted barley & oats with a creamy smoothness. Served in an English pint glass, try it with a Moosejaw Pie to get your Irish eyes smiling! $6 English Pint, $14 Pitcher, $16 New Growler, $13 Growler Refill. (ABV 6.2%)

On one hand I understand they are trying to market their beer to the people who roll through the place (mostly families with young kids in tow) but doesn't "less heavy and bitter than Guinness" kind of ruin your credibility? I guess it could theoretically be less bitter than Guinness ... but what would that taste like?

An acquaintance was drinking dark and stormys and after a few (don't know how many, lost count when she fell off the barstool) she wanted another and couldn't remember the name so she ordered a "Deep and Steamy".

Sounds like a pretty good Freudian slip:fro:

Pics so we can assess the validity/appropriateness of your still only being an "aquaintance";):D:mug:

Back