Solution to yesterdays brew mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japerritt

Reaction score
My buddy and I are on our 3rd brew and we do two 5 gallon kits. Our first two kits were complete ingredient kits from northern brewer and all kits had a 6lb jug of LME. They taste GREAT. For yesterdays brew we decided make our own recipes and give DME a try and I do believe we did not use near enough DME for both of our batchs? We used 3lb of DME per 5 gallon batch, we assumed 3lb of DME equaled 6lb of LME. I'm assuming this mistake will make our beer taste really watered down? I just found this conversion, 5# LME *.8 = 4# of DME, and if thats accurate we used an equivalent of 3.75 if it were DME. Will our brews be watered down? What would you do if were us? Should we trash it and start over? Add more malt to the primary fermenter? Leave it as is and hope for at least something drinkable? Oh, I doubt it matters much, but we both also steeped 1lb of crushed grains too.

Obviously our biggest mistake was not learning the LME to DME conversion before ordering or ingredients...

You can drink it it will just be weak, blend it with another stronger beer you quickly make and combine the 2 at bottling. Even a small 1 or 2 gallon batch. Pour it 1/2 and 1/2 with another of your beers or a commercial to blend. Never add any new malt to the fermenter. You can add sugar it will just make alchol and add no body or flavor to the beer. If it were me I would blend it.

Even 6lbs of DME in a 5 gallon batch would be good. But 3lbs is def gunna be watered down,even with the 1lb of steeping grains. I typically use 3-3.75lbs of LME with 3lbs of DME in my AE beers. That LME measurement is primarilly due to metric conversion as well.
Some have mixed DME with room temp water & added it to primary. I've never done that myself.

I would try to salvage long before I'd even consider dumping. You will never learn by quiting early except how to fail without firing a shot. Never do that.

I'd boil up some DME or LME with a little hop added but that is debatable as to preference. Cool completely and add carefully to the existing wort, you will get some aeration but I wouldn't worry a lot about it, actually I wouldn't worry at all. I'd also most likely dry hop too which maybe your schedule anyway.

Thanks! I appreciate the recommendations. I'll talk to my buddy and we determine if want to mix our brews with a stronger batch or boil up some extract with a little hops and add to what we have. If we boil up some extract to add to current batch, there isn't much room left in the primary fermenter, so I guess we would boil up about gallon water and add about 3lbs of LME, then slowly pour into the primary?

A friend of mine turned the crank on his grain mill backwards the first time he used it and got about 5% efficiency on all-grain batch of Belgian dubbel once. It wasn't great. It was pretty light. But it was better than soda or plain old water and very quaffable.

Your beer will come in at about 2.5% and light, but I wouldn't say "watered down." Don't mess with it and enjoy it as a "table beer."

Back