Rye grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're trying to do a traditional Roggenbier, Munich or Vienna, along with some pale ale malt can make up half the grist, with rye making up the rest. Then a noble hop to round it out, and ferment with a hefe yeast. I'm going to be brewing up something to that effect tomorrow, and it'll be my first time working with rye personally.

If you just want it to spice up your beer, Denny's suggestion looks good, or alternatively what I would do is a pale ale with 20% rye, 2-row and just a touch of crystal. I'd then use a noble hop or an americanized noble.

Second Denny's RyePA. That was my first all grain brew and it was amazing! I love a nice rye kick so I took out a pound of basemalt for a pound of rye.

Looking at Rye Pale ale but what type of Hops will go with it I have on hand is,cascade,citra,crystal,fuggles,glacier,golding,hallertauer,liberty,magnum,saaz,willamette.looking at ED Worts Rye IPA but not into very bitter beers.
any thoughts on a combo/ hop rate for 2-4 Oz of total hops for a pale ale?

7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 68.3 %
2 lbs Rye Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 19.5 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 9.8 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Rye Malt (250.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.4 %
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 27.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 3.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 4.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 10 -

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 %
Bitterness: 36.2 IBUs
Est Color: 14.4 SRM

I am going 2kg Belgian Pils, 1kg Rye malt, 300gr crystal wheat, 300gr cane sugar, 50gr oats and 200gr wheat.
I am going to hop it with Northern brewer OR Chinook @FWH and 3oz Citra in the boil and one more as dry hop.

2-row (American or British)
Golden Naked Oats
3-5% Caramel Rye
3-5% Chocolate Rye
2-3% Brown Malt for a little toastiness

And if you can find some Thai palm sugar:
images

Really good stuff. Two Brothers Cane & Ebel uses it.

I am going 2kg Belgian Pils, 1kg Rye malt, 300gr crystal wheat, 300gr cane sugar, 50gr oats and 200gr wheat.
I am going to hop it with Northern brewer OR Chinook @FWH and 3oz Citra in the boil and one more as dry hop.
i think that rye and citra aren't ideal together. They will both be fighting for the spotlight. That much citra will likely mask anything the rye is contributing. I'd go with a slightly less prominent hop like cascade or glacier.

I just went with some grain and hops that were a little old and just made a test batch ;)

4 # of 2 row Breiss
3 # Rye Weyermann,
3 # Vienna Weyermann
2 # Weyermann Pilsner
12 oz special B,
10 oz of Black Patent malt
8 oz Flaked Barley

FWH Saaz 1 oz,
1 oz min Kent Golding 60 Min
1 oz Glacier, 20 Min
1 oz US Fuggle 0 Min

Back