Historical beer find

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoutman82

Reaction score
So while cleaning out the basement of this house I just bought in fort Wayne In I found this. It is a old crown lazy aged ale not sure on the year found an interesting article on the brewery http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Crown_Brewing_Corporation and I thought I'd ask if anyone in here is old enough to have had one? While it was stored in a cool dark pseudo cellar I'm not sure if I'm that adventurous.

image-3266155791.jpg

image-60028392.jpg

image-3792183996.jpg

Pretty sweet, man! Never even heard of that beer before, but I'd be interested in hearing your tasting notes! Be adventurous, worst thing that'll happen is it'll taste like p!$$.

Was kinda a cool find it was nestled inbetween some vodka from the cccp and a mason jar labeled peach shine 82

My understanding is that among brewianna collectors, there's little value in the beer in the bottles, unless of course it's something like Alshopps arctic ale that was found at the bottom of the bering sea or something like that. Collectors want the bottles, they want the labels, the caps, and cans, but not really bottles full of beer.

You might want to do some digging at Tavern Trove or one of the other sites though.

It was probably brewed before best-before's were cool.

According to the wiki page it stopped production of Old Crown in the late 1980's so the youngest this beer is going to be is around 20!

The brewery produced Old Crown Beer, Old Crown Ale, Old Crown Bock, Van Merrit, Old German, Renner and Alps Brau, until they ceased production on December 1, 1973. Peter Hand brewing of Chicago continued to make Old Crown beer and ale, as well as Van Merrit, Old German and Alps Brau, until the late 80's

Alright boys putting it in the fridge.... Will report back with photos.

That's the spirit! And speaking of spirits, about that 30 year old peach 'shine and the Soviet vodka.... you'll be posting the tastings on those too, no? :D

FWIW, I am NOT in any way a vodka guy, but.... back in college I lived with a girl who grew up in the Ukraine under Soviet rule. Her father had a few bottles of old Russian vodka that he'd brought back from visits to post Soviet Ukraine. I have to say, as far as vodka goes, those Russian's were quite nice.

It and I are pulling up to my local brewery (bare hands brewery) I figured I'd share

Bizarro inc sat at the brewery talked about it some girl at the bars like I'm from fort Wayne says her last name is berghoff turns out she's a descendant of the owners lol and I'm being serious100%

Just a thought.. But the yeast may be worth more than the cap or the bottle!! I'd give wyeast a call!

Just a thought.. But the yeast may be worth more than the cap or the bottle!! I'd give wyeast a call!

I was wondering that too.... I'd probably at least try'n see if it could be harvested. Revvy tried it with the 48 year old beer, sadly, nothing came of the harvest. :(
But, it'd be interesting to see......

As would some tasting notes on that brewski, Stoutman? You guys crack that bad boy yet? :mug:

This weekend I bought a bunch of old beer cans and four of them are full. Wasn't gonna be brave enough to try them, but this thread has me curious now!

Ok so the taste....,, imagine behemoth barleywine but flatter with honey added overall not bad not great but not bad

image-3784919766.jpg

Either you live at a bar/restaurant or I assume you opened this at our local watering hole (aka the register in the background). Any other more specific descriptions of this beer? Inquiring taste buds want to know! How about the vodka and the shine? Try them yet?

Latest posts

Back