Not-So-Obnoxious Baseball Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back from the Giants home opener. What an amazing game, Matt Cain almost had a No-No!

Matt Cain!!!!!
machinegun.gif

That there, is just fvckin' mean!!! That image haunts me daily!! haha :D

Being a Giants fan I was pulling for you guys last year. Plus I hate the Cards. It reminded me a lot of the Giants meltdown against the Angels in 2002. I did love that Cliff Lee left Texas cause he wanted to win a championship and then got bounced in the first round while you all ended up in the series again.

Being a Giants fan you certainy saw us get our asses kicked! I will not complain though. First time we had ever won a playoff game, much less a series and go to the Series. Last year was heartbreaking!

Anytime Cliff Lee loses, is a good time to me! I can't stand him. He is out for himself only and did not fit in here. The Rangers are a TEAM. They play for each other and it shows in everything they do. When he was here he was a distraction. Nothing against his ability. He is amazing. But I am so glad he's gone!

Being a Giants fan you certainy saw us get our asses kicked! I will not complain though. First time we had ever won a playoff game, much less a series and go to the Series. Last year was heartbreaking!

Anytime Cliff Lee loses, is a good time to me! I can't stand him. He is out for himself only and did not fit in here. The Rangers are a TEAM. They play for each other and it shows in everything they do. When he was here he was a distraction. Nothing against his ability. He is amazing. But I am so glad he's gone!

You guys are a better team without him, probably best team in the AL maybe in either league right now. BTW, even after you win the whole thing you'll still remember Cruz pulling up on that, it just won't suck as much. I still see effing Scott Spiezo dropping that 3 run shot in game 6 barely over the rightfield fence. Good luck this year, if you aren't facing my Giants I'll probably be pulling for you again, always good to see teams with a long history get their first one(except the Angels) or first one in like 50 plus years.

You're probaby right, it will haunt me forever. It will be interesting to see how the NL plays out. There is no way the Dodgers can keep it up, is there???? The Giants have some pretty good guys, so I can't bad mouth them. Good luck to you!

WildGingerBrewing said:
I honestly can't say we choked away the first one. The Giants flat out beat us! Better team that year, no doubt. Last year...we choked!

As a card fan. Thank you. I'm sure it was brutal for you to watch but as you can imagine I had a different reaction.

You're probaby right, it will haunt me forever. It will be interesting to see how the NL plays out. There is no way the Dodgers can keep it up, is there???? The Giants have some pretty good guys, so I can't bad mouth them. Good luck to you!

Dodgers have 2 legit great players in Kershaw and Kemp, and a number of good to very good players. Their pen and rotation depth is not good enough to take them far in the playoffs.

I look at it this way. Football is supposed to be the sport where any given team can win on Sunday. Yet you look and in order to get to the playoffs a football team needs to win 10 games. With that win percentage in baseball it would take 101 wins to make the play offs. If a baseball team won 14 of 16, which would be a great year in football, they would win 142 games. I think baseball is truly the game of any team can win on any given day. A team scoring 18 runs....ffffft...seen it before... means nothing.

As a Brewers fan, you should be thanking the Braves for choking away their last 5 games..

To be perfectly clear I would like to thank all teams for helping the Cardinals win their 18th NL pennant and their 11th World Series championship. Their third in my lifetime. Despite the fact that the 2011 St. Louis Cardinals were not the most talented team in baseball you have to admit they had a lot of heart and poise. Not the best Cards team I've seen by far but it is definitely one of the most memorable seasons I have witnessed. The story of the 2012 St. Louis Cardinals is still being written.:mug:

They look good off the start but lets see if they can ride that fire all season.

Even with the troubles the Brewers are having so far in this early season, I have to say I would still put them a top the division when its all over. Once the team gels together and they figure it out, they will be a force. Not to mention when Aram finally starts hitting.

To be perfectly clear I would like to thank all teams for helping the Cardinals win their 18th NL pennant and their 11th World Series championship. Their third in my lifetime. Despite the fact that the 2011 St. Louis Cardinals were not the most talented team in baseball you have to admit they had a lot of heart and poise. Not the best Cards team I've seen by far but it is definitely one of the most memorable seasons I have witnessed. The story of the 2012 St. Louis Cardinals is still being written.:mug:

Don't forget to thank Pujols roid regimen.

Anyone else getting tired of relief pitching? It seems that a starter attacks the strike zone because they know that they have to limit themselves to 13-15 pitches per inning. Then you have a reliever come in and they throw 25 pitches in a inning. They dance around the strike zone, walk a guy... it's like watching the last 2 minutes of a basketball game....

yeah, pitch count is more important for starting pitchers. They know they will be yanked if the pitch count gets around 70-80. The managers want at least 25 good starts from each starting pitcher.

yeah, pitch count is more important for starting pitchers. They know they will be yanked if the pitch count gets around 70-80. The managers want at least 25 good starts from each starting pitcher.

I completely understand this... This is my point. A starting pitcher can go 7 innings. Then you get a setup man, then a closer. Between the both of them they will throw more pitches per inning, and allow more hits, more walks than a starter. I want a closer to have a mindset of throwing 12 pitches...not 25

Bernie Brewer said:
Braun IS clean. Not gonna say one way or the other about Pujols, cause I dunno.

You don't know about Braun either. We don't know about anybody. I'll believe Braun but a Brewer fan attacking Pujols, who's NEVER failed a test, doesn't have a leg to stand on. Braun failed a test, even if the validity of that test may be in question.

It's baseball... can we forget about the drug tests? It seems to have happened, maybe, most assuredly, I don't care... it's 2012. A new year.

Wow...I really hope you all caught the Giants/Phillies game tonight. Without a doubt the best pitchers' duel I've EVER seen in 30 years of watching baseball. Cain vs. Lee, 2012...one for the history books.

Wow...I really hope you all caught the Giants/Phillies game tonight. Without a doubt the best pitchers' duel I've EVER seen in 30 years of watching baseball. Cain vs. Lee, 2012...one for the history books.

Game was unbelievable. Great pitchers duel.

my one wish for this year would be for the moderators to delete every account on here of people who say that they like the yankees or the red sox. I'd rather watch an Astros v Pirates game than yankees v red sox. Sorry just don't have 12 hrs of free time to invest just to get to the 3rd inning. I am so sick of both of these teams. ESPN will carry 4 games in the next week all will have either or both the yankees and red sox. I long for a team I can really cheer for but alas being in Indianapolis I am stuck with being a bastard mutt of a cubs/reds/cards fan.

McBrewskie said:
Braun was using too. I'm a giants fan though and have no doubt Bonds was a user and shouldn't be in the HOF.

I disagree. There wasn't a rule against use at the time therefore Bonds didn't break any rules. Put him in the Hall, Clemens too. And Rose. The Hall is for the greatest players of all time and Bonds was definitely one of them. Besides, how do we know anyone already in the Hall didn't use? I guarantee there's amphetamine users in there. The football HOF certainly doesn't discriminate.

joelrapp said:
my one wish for this year would be for the moderators to delete every account on here of people who say that they like the yankees or the red sox. I'd rather watch an Astros v Pirates game than yankees v red sox. Sorry just don't have 12 hrs of free time to invest just to get to the 3rd inning. I am so sick of both of these teams. ESPN will carry 4 games in the next week all will have either or both the yankees and red sox. I long for a team I can really cheer for but alas being in Indianapolis I am stuck with being a bastard mutt of a cubs/reds/cards fan.

How about my Rangers owning the sox for the past 2 games? I love it!

How about my Rangers owning the sox for the past 2 games? I love it!

Wait a minute. YOUR Rangers? You're from Ohio! I have about a thousand posts on here touting the greatness of the Rangers! :D JK Yes, be a Ranger fan. That's a team worth supporting.

Now, how about the retirement of Pudge? Quite possibly the greatest Ranger of all time??? I love that although he has been playing for other teams, he is going to come back to Arlington to retire as a Ranger. Pudge is the man and I can't wait for them to retire his number and hang it in the outfield! Wish I could be there Monday night when they honor him in the pre-game.

Back