Help me come up with a recipe with what I have on hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglasbarbin

Reaction score
I've accumulated more ingredients than I probably need, and I'd like to come up with some recipes so I can clear out some space in my office/storeroom. I'd love to hear what some of the more experienced brewers can come up with given the list of ingredients I have. Whoever comes up with the recipe I choose, I'll let you name the brew.

Before I list what I have, here are a few notes:
  • I would prefer to do a mini-mash or all-grain (if AG, this will be my first time!). I can BIAB if necessary, but I do not have a mash/lauter tun at this time.
  • I have a propane burner, 10 gallon brew kettle, 5 gallon kettle, and 2 gallon kettle. That being said, I would like to make this batch between 2.5 and 6.5 gallons so I can fit it in one bucket/carboy. If need be, I could potentially split it between 2 carboys, but I'd rather not. Absolute maximum batch size would be about 8.5 gallons.
  • I currently have the following styles fermenting/conditioning: Oktoberfest, Peach Ale, Blonde Ale, American IPA (~90 IBU's). I don't necessarily mind having a little overlap, but I'd prefer a totally different style if at all possible.

I have the following:

Malt:
~ 20 lbs. 2-row pale malt
~ .5 lbs. Gambrinus Honey Malt
~ .25 lbs. CaraMunich 80L
~ 2 lbs. Rahr 2-row malt
1 lb. Flaked Corn
6 lbs. Light Malt Extract
5 lbs. Pale Malt Extract

Hops:
2 oz. Falconer's Flight
2 oz. Palisades
2 oz. "Magic Hop Dust" from AHS (~7.0% AA)
1.5 oz. Williamette
1.5 oz. Hallertau
1 oz. Magnum
1 oz. Fuggle
1 oz. Calypso
1 oz. Cascade
.5 oz. Crystal

Yeast:
Danstar Munich
Safbrew S-33
Safale US-05
Saflager W-34/70
Danstar Nottingham (washed from a previous batch)

Other:
1 oz. Strawberry Extract
4 oz. Boysenberry Extract
fresh blueberries (maybe a pound or two)
fresh blackberries (maybe a pound or two)
Brown Sugar
Cane Sugar
Dextrose (2 x 5 oz. packets)

I've gotten hooked on low gravity hoppy ales, quick turnaround, great for summer drinking, scratches the hop itch without the high ABV of an IPA or DIPA.

Summer Pale Ale

8 lbs Pale
.5 lbs Flaked Corn
.25 lbs CaraMunich

Mash ~154 F
OG in the low 1.040s (Assuming ~65% eff)

Bitter with Magnum/Willamette to ~50 IBUs
1 oz each Flaconer's Flight and Palisades at 0

Ferment with US-05 ~65 F

Dry hop with 1 oz each Flaconer's Flight and Palisades for 2 weeks after fermentation ends.

I've accumulated more ingredients than I probably need, and I'd like to come up with some recipes so I can clear out some space in my office/storeroom. I'd love to hear what some of the more experienced brewers can come up with given the list of ingredients I have. Whoever comes up with the recipe I choose, I'll let you name the brew.

Before I list what I have, here are a few notes:
  • I would prefer to do a mini-mash or all-grain (if AG, this will be my first time!). I can BIAB if necessary, but I do not have a mash/lauter tun at this time.
  • I have a propane burner, 10 gallon brew kettle, 5 gallon kettle, and 2 gallon kettle. That being said, I would like to make this batch between 2.5 and 6.5 gallons so I can fit it in one bucket/carboy. If need be, I could potentially split it between 2 carboys, but I'd rather not. Absolute maximum batch size would be about 8.5 gallons.
  • I currently have the following styles fermenting/conditioning: Oktoberfest, Peach Ale, Blonde Ale, American IPA (~90 IBU's). I don't necessarily mind having a little overlap, but I'd prefer a totally different style if at all possible.

I have the following:

Malt:
~ 20 lbs. 2-row pale malt
~ .5 lbs. Gambrinus Honey Malt
~ .25 lbs. CaraMunich 80L
~ 2 lbs. Rahr 2-row malt
1 lb. Flaked Corn
6 lbs. Light Malt Extract
5 lbs. Pale Malt Extract

Hops:
2 oz. Falconer's Flight
2 oz. Palisades
2 oz. "Magic Hop Dust" from AHS (~7.0% AA)
1.5 oz. Williamette
1.5 oz. Hallertau
1 oz. Magnum
1 oz. Fuggle
1 oz. Calypso
1 oz. Cascade
.5 oz. Crystal

Yeast:
Danstar Munich
Safbrew S-33
Safale US-05
Saflager W-34/70
Danstar Nottingham (washed from a previous batch)

Other:
1 oz. Strawberry Extract
4 oz. Boysenberry Extract
Brown Sugar
Cane Sugar
Dextrose (2 x 5 oz. packets)

Ok just off the top of my head here is one.

10 lbs. 2-row pale malt
.5 lbs. Gambrinus Honey Malt
.25 lbs. CaraMunich 80L
1 oz. Cascade @60
1lb Cane Sugar
Danstar Nottingham

Mash at 152 for 60 mins

Primary for 3 weeks

In Secondary rack on to fruit(run it through blender with a lil water and 1lb Cane Sugar ) May want to use a blow off tube lol

Give it 4 weeks secondary and bottle.

At Bottling add
1 oz. Strawberry Extract
1 oz. Boysenberry Extract
5oz Dextrose

Mixed Fruit summer pale ale!

^ I was actually thinking about doing something similar to that. Any reason to add the 1 lb. cane sugar to secondary rather than primary? Seems to me like a lot of the sugar wouldn't ferment once it gets out of secondary, and it probably also increases the potential for bottle bombs. I could be totally wrong about this, but I'm wondering why to add the sugar to secondary?

7 lbs of 2 row
.75 flaked corn
.75 brown sugar
.25 honey malt

Hop with Williamette and Fuggle
f/ 33 IBU

Nottingham yeast.

English Special bitter.

^ I was actually thinking about doing something similar to that. Any reason to add the 1 lb. cane sugar to secondary rather than primary? Seems to me like a lot of the sugar wouldn't ferment once it gets out of secondary, and it probably also increases the potential for bottle bombs. I could be totally wrong about this, but I'm wondering why to add the sugar to secondary?

The reason is not to overwhelm the yeast with a ton of simple sugars in primary, you dont want the yeast getting "lazy" so that it wont ferment the more complex grain sugars, and trust me there will be enough yeast in suspension to take care of the sugars from the fruit and the cane sugar easily, the reason i say to add those is to dry the beer out a bit and make it a tad more "refreshing".

Back