Sub $10 Drip tray idea.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My drip tray needs are met, but because I love you, I'm always thinking about your beer needs.

While I was at Lowes, I spotted this smoker box, which could easily become a driptray.

3455816929_0cf1cd0c84.jpg

Top has the requisite holes.
3456633890_d2a67bfe1c.jpg

Deboxed. It's about a foot long.
3456634306_91c0f3c73c.jpg

The top opens for cleaning.
3455817105_6a8bbba2a2.jpg

Figure out a mounting and you're all set to go!

YOU, are awesome... nice.

I need a couple when I collar my chest freezer this summer and expand my # of taps!

The only problem I see is that any spilled bier on the top surface will spill over the edge of the hole filled cover making a mess down below.
If that cover were cut down to fit inside the box with small "L" or 90 degree tabs, 4 of them and Tig Tacked on this would hold the cover at 1/8" below the box body. This would make for a totally dry spill tray. Just an idea as the price is great.

Oh this is perfect. I'm going to use magnets to put it on the keezer. Won't be strong enough to set a beer on, but I can't drill so it will be good for catching drips, and removable for cleaning.

A comparable "actual" surface mount drip tray that size starts at about 40 buck and goes up from there.

Nice idea olllllo, I think I may just have to steal it and claim all the credit :D

That is a good idea. I have one of these boxes for smoking in my grill. It works great as it's intended also!

I just ordered a drip tray from barproducts.com for $14.95 - it SS, 19.5" inches long - a steal.

So.......

...if I put some wood chips in there and get them smoldering.....

....then draw a proper pint of a nice robust porter.....

...then place said pint on said smoking grid....

...would I then be enjoying a smoked porter?????

Oh this is perfect. I'm going to use magnets to put it on the keezer. Won't be strong enough to set a beer on, but I can't drill so it will be good for catching drips, and removable for cleaning.

So.......

...if I put some wood chips in there and get them smoldering.....

....then draw a proper pint of a nice robust porter.....

...then place said pint on said smoking grid....

...would I then be enjoying a smoked porter?????

I think a mess would be the accurate name

After buying this "drip tray" three months back, I finally got around to installing it... figured I should show everyone how things worked out. I spent a couple bucks on stainless bolts, washers, and wingnuts, drilled some holes... done and done! Notice my old drip bucket on the floor? :D

I used wingnuts to make it quick and easy to pull the drip tray off for cleaning without having to reach for a wrench.

As you can see, under the weight of America's finest macrolager and some cream soda, the strength is more than adequate for my modest needs (even after I soon expand to TWO taps :p). I'm confident that this could even hold two fully loaded growlers.

Hmm... After looking at these photos, it looks like a need to give my kegerator a wipedown! It's kind of dirty and beer-splattered.:mug:

kegerator 01.jpg
kegerator 02.jpg
kegerator 03.jpg

I'm surprised that the magnets are attracted to the SS boxes. Most SS I have seen has little to no magnetic attraction. The solution I came up with was to glue a piece of wood to the freezer, then mount the tray to the wood to avoid drilling into the freezer wall.

The solution I came up with was to glue a piece of wood to the freezer, then mount the tray to the wood to avoid drilling into the freezer wall.

Similar to an idea I had... attach the tray to some wood, and have the tap shanks essentially act as bolts to hold the wood to the fridge.

I'm surprised that the magnets are attracted to the SS boxes. Most SS I have seen has little to no magnetic attraction. The solution I came up with was to glue a piece of wood to the freezer, then mount the tray to the wood to avoid drilling into the freezer wall.

He's probably going to just have the magnets attract to the door of the freezer through the SS.

Awesome find ollllo.

He's probably going to just have the magnets attract to the door of the freezer through the SS.

They would necessarily have to be extremely strong magnets to make it that work.

Here's a pic of my configuration. I just roughed up the paint on the freezer wall with some sandpaper so the glue would adhere then some SS screws for mounting the try to the wood.

3210443826_5bec35f3ed_b.jpg

hmmm....i have one of these i used to use in my grill before i got a smoker. it obviously not a good idear as its all tarnished from heat, but i did see them at lowes and i need a tray. This could at least be a good stand in until I get something else...right now I just have some paper towels catching my driplets.

Dang, I was just passing through the kegerator thread thinking, dammit! I need to get me a drip tray! I wish I could figure out how to put something together cheap, that looks nice.

Click...

OH! I am SO buying one of these the next time I am in town!

I probably would have gotten that one but my six taps span 21", so that's too small and using two would look ridiculous. The smoker boxes were perfect for two side by side.

Coastarine,

Excellent idea for a low cost drip tray. I have a keezer in the last stages of construction and I have put off the purchase of a drip tray, mainly because they are so friggin' expensive! My problem is solved. And I think I may have a magnet or two laying around here to mount it!

i use a metal drywall mud pan and a couple of magnets. IT doesn't have a grid top like the smoker box, but that makes sure people realize they shouldn't sit their beer on it.

Has anyone done anything to make this thing watertight?

Usually not a big deal but when I get an overflowed beer the beer drips down through the seams.

I was thinking maybe some wax along the inside seams but I haven't done anything yet.

Has anyone done anything to make this thing watertight?

Usually not a big deal but when I get an overflowed beer the beer drips down through the seams.

I was thinking maybe some wax along the inside seams but I haven't done anything yet.

Maybe line the inside with some kind of waterproof caulk or JB weld?

Oh, and if you do have an issue with dripping off the top the lid opens up flush with the back. This is for those that have this attached to the side of a keezer or similar setup.

i use a metal drywall mud pan and a couple of magnets. IT doesn't have a grid top like the smoker box, but that makes sure people realize they shouldn't sit their beer on it.

I'm a new member here, just joined. Ordering Perlick Stainless Steel 525 faucets and shanks from Keg Connections; was pondering the $25 for a drip tray and thinking that sucks....

thanks for helping me decide to just freaking make my own :):mug:

Where are you guys getting magnets strong enough to hold the trays on? I have had two of those 19" drip trays for months but cannot figure out a good way to mount them. I like the idea of gluing on magnets cause it can be easily removed for cleaning, but I haven't seen any strong enough magnets in my casual looking.

Holy crap, you are a true hero! I spent an hour scouring Lowes before giving up and dropping $40 on a tiny tray at my local brew store.

Back