Filtering soda before bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berwick12

Reaction score
This question is for a friend, I brew beer he brews soda. Apparently as it goes he is looking for an effective way to filter his soda before he bottles it. The way he tells, it takes 2-3 days to get cabonated then he crash chills it which stops carbonation, everything settles. Once he opens a bottle unlike beer all of those particulates get kicked up into solution. He dislikes this, so I'm looking for the best way to filter before bottling soda.

I filter through cheesecloth before adding yeast and bottling. Like dataz said, you will get the sediment from yeast though. On occasion I will filter out of the bottle, also using cheesecloth.

If he uses yeast to carbonate, then he will have to filter and bottle under pressure using a sub-micron filter. To really do it right, he should keg the soda, then force it through a 2-5 micron filter, followed by a 0.3 micron filter, into a second keg. Then he can bottle from that keg.

It might be simpler for him to use a very small amount of yeast and give it more time to carbonate.

If he uses yeast to carbonate, then he will have to filter and bottle under pressure using a sub-micron filter. To really do it right, he should keg the soda, then force it through a 2-5 micron filter, followed by a 0.3 micron filter, into a second keg. Then he can bottle from that keg.

It might be simpler for him to use a very small amount of yeast and give it more time to carbonate.

If he already has everything to do this then what is the point of even using yeast? Just force carb it.

I have the same problem when I use low flocculating yeast. Especially ginger soda. Ground cinnamon really aggravates the issue.

What yeast is your friend using?

I want to use Nottingham which is supposed to be better. Then chill for at least a week. This will be a future test.

Maybe he could give it a try.

I know he mentioned something about how he doesn't like to force carbonate it. Something about larger "harsher" bubbles he believes, in his own palate. I'll also ask him what kind of yeast he is using.

I've been playing with yeast-carbing soda (as a side project while I wait for wine),, I've found that filtering it really kills the bubbles.

Your best bet is crash chill it open, then carfully pour it off into a new bottle (or smaller bottles) and keep them chilled (if carbination kicks off again you end up with new yeast sediment). It's not perfect, 'cause you loose some fiz while it's chilling, and some more when decanting, but filtering or syphoning are worse.

you could always use some regular brewers kit and rack it before bottling
i actually like the yeast, it seperates (pun) the OTC RB drinkers from the DIY drinkers...its like a toy surprise at the end of every bottle!
filtering too much yeast out will change the flavor and decrease the bottle carb (or increase the time to get decent pressure)
enjoy

Back