Starter Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shayner

Reaction score
about a month ago, i was going to make a Blue Moon mock. Well, my wart went to crap do to my impatiences:eek:

That being said, i still have my yeast starter because i expected to brew the following weekend.

Question, my yeast starter that "fermented" and everthing else has been in my fridge and covered up. Will it still be good?

edit:05/18/08
after reading a few posts from the previous days, i thought i'd add this to the 1st post
It has been in the flask with an air lock this entire time

about a month ago, i was going to make a Blue Moon mock. Well, my wart went to crap do to my impatiences:eek:

That being said, i still have my yeast starter because i expected to brew the following weekend.

Question, my yeast starter that "fermented" and everthing else has been in my fridge and covered up. Will it still be good?

Yes...decant (discard) most of the clear liquid from the top and pitch the slurry at the bottom into your wort.

I'd be worried about infection if it was just covered with aluminum foil. Yeast is cheap depending on what kind it is.

Agreed, spend about $6 and get yourself some fresh yeast, in either a vial (WhiteLabs) or smackpack (Wyeast). For the Blue Moon, I'd go with Wyeast 3944.

I leave most of my yeast in the fridge covered with foil (tightly). I have never had any problems. The infecting bugs cannot crawl up only fall (or get blown) in.

It was still in the flask with the stopper and airlock on it. So, should i just discard most of the clear liquid and put the "pastey-slurry" in as my yeast?

If so, I am assuming i should let it get to room temp. Is that correct?

It was still in the flask with the stopper and airlock on it. So, should i just discard most of the clear liquid and put the "pastey-slurry" in as my yeast?

If so, I am assuming i should let it get to room temp. Is that correct?

Yes, the pasty slurry is your yeast.

Yes, let it warm to room temperature and pitch once the wort has to around 70F and it is within 10 degrees of you yeast temperature.

Latest posts

Back