Blackberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turnerdude1

Reaction score
Next week will be making about 80 gal of blackberry wine. I in the past have used Jack Keller's recipe for a medium body wine. However this year in N.C. it was been a very wet spring and was wondering if I should make a full body wine. It should be noted that the Farmer that I make some of the wine for likes me to back sweeten it to 1.020 SG..

Where are you getting the berries? With his recipe that's like 240lbs of berries. I'm struggling to get 10lbs. haha. I'm over in fayetteville so it's not exactly the countryside but still.

I guess it depends on how many lbs of berries you have. You will obviously have a lower yield. Personally I like the heavy bodied recipe. I usually make 6 gallons a year for our personal use.

It is a sweet deal...a Farmer grows them right down the street from me. He and his helper pick them and put them in a walk in cooler. Then he gives me the "culls" or over ripe ones and it into wine and I give him half of what I produce. Been doing this for about 5 years and go through about 250 to 300 lbs of berries...I mix mine with blends of red wine like Merlot etc...

Latest posts

Back