Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK.. so we let this go for at least 21 days. Do you think that's necessary? Do you think it's anything like a normal brew and the majority of the fermentation is done after the first 6-8 days? I know my airlock was bubbling pretty good on days 3-4, but it dropped off after that and didn't bubble any more.

If it's only a difference of a couple percent of alcohol to get a batch every week versus every three weeks, I'd say it's worth it. Opinions?

Mine went to the limits of the yeast in about a week. The mass of the rice reduced significantly. I had about 1/3 of the original mass left over as semi-solid starches in bucket at the end. I honestly think that a 1:1 ratio, fermented at a higher temp for a shorter period is viable path. Drinking a glass right now and it is hard to argue with the results. But as always YMMV.

And what kind of temps are you talking about?

An also.. if just soaking the rice gets it to swell, why do we need to steam or cook it instead of just soaking for say.. 24 hrs? Then you could drain off any liquid and add the yeast balls instead of having to worry about cooling back down? Does the cooking do something to the starches needed for the Koji?

And what kind of temps are you talking about?

An also.. if just soaking the rice gets it to swell, why do we need to steam or cook it instead of just soaking for say.. 24 hrs? Then you could drain off any liquid and add the yeast balls instead of having to worry about cooling back down? Does the cooking do something to the starches needed for the Koji?

Cooking gelatinizes the starch, making it easier for the enzymes to convert, and it also kills off any critters that are on the rice

As far as pasteurizing goes, why not just pasteurize the whole batch of wine in a pot after separating the rice, then bottle. Any different that pasteurizing in the bottle?
Thanks

So I'm wondering if hypothetically a guy could follow this same process with other grains and get anything that tastes good.

As far as pasteurizing goes, why not just pasteurize the whole batch of wine in a pot after separating the rice, then bottle. Any different that pasteurizing in the bottle?
Thanks

Yes, you can do a volume pasteurization, that is exactly what the average Asian family does when making this. Either method will work.

So I'm wondering if hypothetically a guy could follow this same process with other grains and get anything that tastes good.

Stop hypothesizing and start experimenting. Report back in six weeks with detailed notes and pictures

Thanks

If you start heating up the whole batch in a pot, you're going to start losing alcohol as it evaporates.

If you start heating up the whole batch in a pot, you're going to start losing alcohol as it evaporates.

Not with a lid on the pot. You only need to get it up to 150F for a little while, nowhere close to actually boiling

An FYI. I did a 4 cup (1 gallon) batch of sushi rice. I used 1 cup of water to 1 cup of rice. Crushed up 2 yeast balls and layered it into a 1 gallon jar from walmart. Batch started 2 weeks ago. I have not tried any yet but it smells very good. Like really sweet vanilla. Going to wait till 3 weeks as my temps here average 65 deg. Pretty sure this is going to be really good.

Just going on record as saying I've done batches in a bedroom closet that averages 68% using a 1:1 ratio to great success. The batches that were placed in a different closet that has heating ductwork in it, temperature averages much higher around 78% have the Ethyl acetate smell. I'm moving those batches to sit for a couple weeks at a lower temperature to see if it helps.

What temperatures is everyone else having success with? The original post said dark warm place, but I'm thinking the warm part is detrimental. People that had bad batches, what were your temperatures?

Just going on record as saying I've done batches in a bedroom closet that averages 68% using a 1:1 ratio to great success. The batches that were placed in a different closet that has heating ductwork in it, temperature averages much higher around 78% have the Ethyl acetate smell. I'm moving those batches to sit for a couple weeks at a lower temperature to see if it helps.

What temperatures is everyone else having success with? The original post said dark warm place, but I'm thinking the warm part is detrimental. People that had bad batches, what were your temperatures?

I'll do my next batch without the warmer and see how it goes.

Tamarlane said:
Stop hypothesizing and start experimenting. Report back in six weeks with detailed notes and pictures

Actually I did just that, on a whim I cooked up some extra oats with breakfast this morning, added some extra sugar and 1/2 a yeast ball (only did a cup of oats). Have it sitting in a mason jar as we speak. :)

I'm thinking if it works you could do a weaker version of whisky, some oak chips added in for flavoring. Probably be rot gut but worth a try right?

Actually I did just that, on a whim I cooked up some extra oats with breakfast this morning, added some extra sugar and 1/2 a yeast ball (only did a cup of oats). Have it sitting in a mason jar as we speak. :)

I'm thinking if it works you could do a weaker version of whisky, some oak chips added in for flavoring. Probably be rot gut but worth a try right?
Interesting. I might do a batch with cooked wheat berries. I'm a little worried the fungus won't be able to get to the starch in them even after they are cooked though...

Leadgolem said:
Interesting. I might do a batch with cooked wheat berries. I'm a little worried the fungus won't be able to get to the starch in them even after they are cooked though...

That's why I started with something a bit easier to break down but ya never know until you give it a try

The chinese make this type of wine from:

Rice, including glutinous rice, long- grained nonglutinous rice, black rice are used mainly in the South. It has been considered that polished glutinous rice is the most suitable to rice wine brewing.

Millet: It is mainly used in the Northern part of China. Its varieties include: chestnut, broomcorn millet ( Panicum miliaceum).

Maize: Historically speaking, it was rarely used for rice wines making. From 1970's, scientists have developed a process using maize as principal materials. after solving the major problems in pretreating the maize, the large scale production of so called "Maize Wine" in North China gained greatly successful.

Highland barley: In Xizang and Qinghai Provinces, the Highland barley is principal raw material for making QINGKE JIU ( a fermented alcoholic beverage similar to HUANG JIU).

link

Of course taste is a subjective matter.

Started out another batch tonight. My little steamer that goes in the microwave can only do 3 cups (Uncooked) at a time. I soaked the rice in several bowls all over the kitchen for at least an hour after rinsing, then cooked it. I'm using a 1/1 ratio, though not counting what it absorbed during the soak. I'd spread that three cups out on a cookie sheet after it was done cooking until it cooled down below 90 degrees and then I spread a pulverized yeast ball over it before setting it into the ferment bin and mixing it around some more.

Total of 18 cups nice fluffy rice in the fermenting bin with six 10gm yeast balls. Totally cooked rice but much drier than last time as far as surface moisture. Hopefully it'll work out this time. C'mon, 3/28/13.

I have done a batch of this on the weekend 2 cups of rice 4 cups of water and 4 yeast balls.... all's been going well I have the separation of rice and liquid like in other photos but I have a layer of mould on the top.... black mould is this normal? everything was clean and sanitized the only thing I may have done wrong is the rice may have been too hot when I pitched the yeast.

suggestions as to what I did wrong??

I have done a batch of this on the weekend 2 cups of rice 4 cups of water and 4 yeast balls.... all's been going well I have the separation of rice and liquid like in other photos but I have a layer of mould on the top.... black mould is this normal? everything was clean and sanitized the only thing I may have done wrong is the rice may have been too hot when I pitched the yeast.

suggestions as to what I did wrong??

Is it in the light? I dont think black mold has been a good sign so far

Yeah looks like being in open light is a contributing factor to this mold, you really only want the fuzzy white mold growing. But hell just let it finish out and see how it turns out you might be ok. Any pics?

I want to see how Arborio does. It behaves very differently than most rice when cooking, interested to see how that comes across in the wine.

So I am throwing my hat into this. I used my iodophored Mr beer fermenter, about 8 cups of steamed jasmine rice, and 4 Vietnamese yeast balls.

My process was to first rinse then soak the rice for 2 hours, then put in cooker until done. I am essentially making the rice the same way that I make it when I eat it. I then take the rice out to cool, covered. Meanwhile, I pulverized the balls (shudders) in the food ninja (waited until wife went to bed to avoid inquiry) Then I spooned in rice and yeast and then mixed it in by hand. I just sealed it normally without cheese cloth. I feel the gap already in the Mr Beer lid to vent C02 should be adequate. This all went into a warm dark closet. I have made a pact with myself not to even peek until 1 month!

I am disheartened to hear all the unhelpful people in Asian markets. I would suggest the direct approach. Explaining what you are trying to do, rather than just what you are looking for. I have a Chinese friend at work and he is looking forward to my efforts, though he claims to not generally drink, and if so, avoids his native beverages entirely.

I am planning on pasteurizing and possibly back sweetening with some mango juice or whatnot. Any idea what 8 cups of cooked rice will yield?

So what I feared has come true. I've been on vacation for the past week but started a batch before I left. I've been following the thread (thank you wifi) and I just knew I'd come back to black mold and nail polish remover. Low and behold, that's what I've got. I know what in going to change in my process so I'll be starting a second batch today. We live(brew) and we learn

So what I feared has come true. I've been on vacation for the past week but started a batch before I left. I've been following the thread (thank you wifi) and I just knew I'd come back to black mold and nail polish remover. Low and behold, that's what I've got. I know what in going to change in my process so I'll be starting a second batch today. We live(brew) and we learn

What was it you changed? Was it in light etc.?

sonofgrok said:
What was it you changed? Was it in light etc.?

Wasn't light, was in a dark closet the entire time. I'm going to change my water to rice ratio, from 2/1 to 1/1. There was a decent amount of white(good) mold but there were patches of black mold and it smelled exactly like nail polish remover. I was also using sushi rice but I'm going to look for Thai jasmine at wegmans or trader joes while I'm out food shopping today

Starter a new batch this morning with sweet rice and 1:1 this time. I had been using 3:1. It was decent but a little too tart. Definitely not sweet, and the rice started out as a big congealed mess. This time they were nice individual grains.

Starter a new batch this morning with sweet rice and 1:1 this time. I had been using 3:1. It was decent but a little too tart. Definitely not sweet, and the rice started out as a big congealed mess. This time they were nice individual grains.

+1. I made mine with the 1/1 ratio as well this time after trying the 3/1. Mine came out tasting like I'd squeezed a bushel of lemons into the batch or filtered over a box of the kids' Sour Patch Kids candy.

I was reading back through some of this thread this morning, and I see many people adding their crushed yeast balls at the point the rice is just cool enough to where it doesn't burn their hands. This would be well above the 100 degree mark. I waited until it cooled to 100 or so, which felt just warm, but I was wondering thoughts on pitching too soon and killing yeast or mold? Seems to be a more tolerant strain than many beer yeasts. The hotter we could pitch the yeast balls, the less exposure to air and less chance of infection. Might be a nice experiment. I've got a bunch of quart-sized Mason jars I use for Apple Pie Moonshine. Next time I get some yeast balls, I could do an experiment with small batches at 5 degree increments. It should be obvious within just a few days of which ones are working and which are dead... unless someone has found some data on this through their Koji/Sake readings.

I also tried a similar approach with two-row plus crystal malt. Twas a complete flop. I think the hulls absorbstoo much liquid severely limiting yield. On tasting, the bit of liquid I could get didn't seem very alcoholic, if at all. :confused:

What would be the harm in rinsing cooked rice with cold water to cool it I wonder? I think I'll try it next time.

choosybeggar said:
I also tried a similar approach with two-row plus crystal malt. Twas a complete flop. I think the hulls absorbstoo much liquid severely limiting yield. On tasting, the bit of liquid I could get didn't seem very alcoholic, if at all. :confused:

I wonder how it would work with wheat malt, or heck, quinoa for that matter.

I am always impatient for some unknown reason. I followed the directions from what sono originally posted. I used the 1:1 ratio rice to water . Maybe the only difference is a 1 gallon jar that was about half full. I made 2 batches one that wasn't soaked for an hour and one that was soaked, both were rinsed. Found ingredients at local Chinese market, 53ave and Bell in Az. I asked and the lady, she said ask him he knows everything, guy said down aisle 7. Found it below extracts. I pitched my yeast when the rice was hot to the touch, it was hard to hold due to heat. There was condensation that was creating in the bottle that I used so rice was warm. I keep it in my laundry room, please no debates on germs. In a hopslam box 12 pack box, that has a black towel covering it. Temperature is about 70 degrees. I will report in in about 2 weeks, if I get black mold. Rice seems to be really dried out at the top. This is a peek after 1 week, well actually the daily peak as I want to see if and when the black mold grows.

image-1103436463.jpg

Okay, so after following this thread for a few days I went out and found the yeast balls. The ones I found are the same as battlegoat found. Tomorrow, sunday, will be 7 days fermenting. I haven't opened or stirred or anything since I closed the lid. Everything seems to be going fine. I used two yeast balls to 4 cups dry measured rice, in half gallon mason jars. 2 batches.
I also found a pack of yeast balls that were larger, about an inch in diameter. So I made a batch with the same weight of yeast as the smaller two balls, just to see which yeast would work better.
The 1 thats with the larger yeast balls in it has bright yellow goo with green fuzzy mold spots on it, but only on the top of the rice not on the sides. Is it just me or would you say that this batch is a loss? Other than the green spots on top, everything else seems to be going normal. In fact it seems to be going faster...
Should I let it ride?

This is my only experience with anything other than all grain brewing.

Oh and its my first post!

Okay, so after following this thread for a few days I went out and found the yeast balls. The ones I found are the same as battlegoat found. Tomorrow, sunday, will be 7 days fermenting. I haven't opened or stirred or anything since I closed the lid. Everything seems to be going fine. I used two yeast balls to 4 cups dry measured rice, in half gallon mason jars. 2 batches.
I also found a pack of yeast balls that were larger, about an inch in diameter. So I made a batch with the same weight of yeast as the smaller two balls, just to see which yeast would work better.
The 1 thats with the larger yeast balls in it has bright yellow goo with green fuzzy mold spots on it, but only on the top of the rice not on the sides. Is it just me or would you say that this batch is a loss? Other than the green spots on top, everything else seems to be going normal. In fact it seems to be going faster...
Should I let it ride?

This is my only experience with anything other than all grain brewing.

Oh and its my first post!

First off welcome to the best homebrewing forum there is! As far as your rice goes, the mold sounds.kinds strange, any pics? But I would advise as Im sure most here would, let it go to the end and see what happens. It aint like its gonna break outta the jar and get you in your sleep........probably. :D

I'm at work right now, but I will take some pictures as soon as I get a chance and post em

Back