Ph meter conditioning ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheelspin

Reaction score
I've just purchased a Hanna PH meter.

In the instructions it says (see pic blow) "To activate, immerse in storage solution for 2 hours."

Does this mean that every time I use it (say once a week) I have to activate it it first for 2 hours then only calibrate ?

Or is this just a first time use thing ?

Any comments appreciated.

Screen shot 2013-01-29 at 4.28.48 PM.png

Most pH probes should be stored in a 1M potassium hydroxide solution when not in use. This is not critical though. I just leave mine in buffer all the time when not in use and the probes can last a couple years this way. Storing it in buffer "can" decrease the life of the probe somewhat as well as slow the response time. (I do it anyway though with no ill effects) if your slope gets below 55, then its time to get a new probe. The gel on the interior of the probe is potassium hydroxide which can be leached out over time if not "recharged". For long term storage, I would definitely go with the Storage solution though. Hope this helps.

[...]Does this mean that every time I use it (say once a week) I have to activate it it first for 2 hours then only calibrate ?

Or is this just a first time use thing ?

I have the Hanna 98128, and that procedure is a one-time thing. After that you put a few drops of storage solution in the round well inside the cap when you're not using the meter...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back