BeerSmith Mash Calculations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PangaeaBeerFood

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have a quick question. I recently purchased BeerSmith and punched my first recipe into it, which I'm brewing tomorrow. However, something seems to be off in the calculations.

I'm mashing 8.5 lbs of grain at 152 degrees for a Saison, which should get me right around 1.050 and ferment to like 5-5.5% ABV for a 5 gallon batch.

However, the mash calculator is telling me to Mash In with 10.88 quarts and mash out with 5.95 quarts. That's only 4.2 gallons of water, yet it tells me I should get 6 gallons of wort. How does that make sense? What am I doing wrong?

It sounds like your mash profile is set to Single Infusion only, which is basically a no sparge setup. It assumes you will add water to get to your final volume.

Are you planning to sparge, batch or fly? If you are, make sure your mash profile in the recipe is set to the method you are going to use. Then on the brewsheet, it will show you how much water to sparge with.

When you go to the brewsheet view it should tell you to sparge with ~1.8G of 168F water or something like that. The sparge doesn't show up in the design view....

HTH,
Jason

Yeah, I fly sparge. Must be a mistake in the backend of my software setup. I'll check it out later tonight. Thanks for the help!

Back