Sos! Time sensitive mash emergency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerichobill

Reaction score
i'm doing an all grain batch in a square coleman cooler with a loose-fitted manifold. i'm halfway through the mash, went to stir, and i dislodged the manifold from the bulkhead that passes through the cooler wall. The water is 156f, it's too hot to reach down there and reattach it. WHAT DO I DO?

Be a man a shove your arm in there!:p

Or you could just dump it all in a pot and fix the manifold like martinworswick said. SISSY!:p

I was only kidding Revvy.

A warning to all people who read my post. I was only joking around. I would not recommend you shove your arm in 160F anything (not that I haven't done it and I never got lobster hand).

I was only kidding Revvy.

A warning to all people who read my post. I was only joking around. I would not recommend you shove your arm in 160F anything (not that I haven't done it and I never got lobster hand).

I wasn't kidding I did it on the GAP thread brew. Hurt like hell for a few days.

I almost tried it again with my long silicone gloves on my last brew. I thought the braid came off. I did reach in as far as I could, but even though the gloves go to my elbow I realized my cooler is longer and stuff was going to flow inside.

I was able to realize in the hot second that the braid WAS attatched though, and ended up blowing through the hose on the valve to free whatever was blocking the flow instead.

I wasn't kidding I did it on the GAP thread brew. Hurt like hell for a few days.

I almost tried it again with my long silicone gloves on my last brew. I thought the braid came off. I did reach in as far as I could, but even though the gloves go to my elbow I realized my cooler is longer and stuff was going to flow inside.

I was able to realize in the hot second that the braid WAS attatched though, and ended up blowing through the hose on the valve to free whatever was blocking the flow instead.

I would assume it would depend on how long your arm would be exposed to the temp. You would have to be quick.

Seriously though, everyone listen to Revvy, don't shove your arm in your mash tun. I was just joking around.

I took rjwhite's advice and manned up, stuck my arm in there! I can be reached at st. james hospital burn unit room 203. can someone please stop by my house, check my primary and see if my beer's fermenting???

Actually, I was able to tip the cooler enough to get my hand on the manifold and reattach it. no surprise, it got stuck in the mash out and i only got about 1.8 gal when i needed three. the sparge worked fine but i fell short of my target volume and gravity. i was weary of dumping it all out to repair becuase of the temperature loss.

i think it will still turn into beer or something like it. we'll see. thanks for the help!

I'm proud of you!:p I'll stop by and check on your beer for you, might even sample whatever else you have lying around and let know what I think.;)

Back