Double IPA Tits-Up Imperial IPA (3-Time Medalist - 2 Golds, 1 Silver)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic explanation and thanks for the guidance on yeast washing.

Sounds like a craaaazy brew and when i get better at AG, I'm trying it as my first high gravity.

thanks

I was just reminiscing about Pliny the Elder recently as I had the good fortune to receive one during the Xmas swap. What a spectacular 'special occasion' beer.

Picking through the hop freezer and seeing the bounty, I've got the serious itch to brew this one up.

Might need to consult you on a couple of hop substitutions.

I just pulled the trigger and ordered the ingredients for this from BW. Question, I have an IPA sitting on a Wyeast 1272 cake that I was originally planning on pitching this to. What are your thoughts on that? Based on the flavor profile, would you just recommend using the US-05?

I just pulled the trigger and ordered the ingredients for this from BW. Question, I have an IPA sitting on a Wyeast 1272 cake that I was originally planning on pitching this to. What are your thoughts on that? Based on the flavor profile, would you just recommend using the US-05?

If you use it, make sure to ferment on the cooler side for the crisp citrus profile. Warm fermenting will give more fruitiness.

Depends on what you're after.

With a relatively pricey recipe like this, I'd be tempted to stick with a clean yeast so you don't overpower that bounty of hops in there...but it's a personal preference.

This looks like a great IPA. I've taken a little time off since my last brew so I'm fresh out of yeast slurry. If I begin with a fresh starter, what yeast would you recommend as a "clean yeast" for a batch?

Thanks.

This is my next brew but wqhat does (FWH) mean as in:

1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.20%] (FWH)

For Whole Hour?

If you use it, make sure to ferment on the cooler side for the crisp citrus profile. Warm fermenting will give more fruitiness.

Depends on what you're after.

With a relatively pricey recipe like this, I'd be tempted to stick with a clean yeast so you don't overpower that bounty of hops in there...but it's a personal preference.

I want the hops. I have about a jar and a half of US-05 slurry from your Centennial Blonde recipe, dated 5/2/09, or 3 packets of powder. When slurry is almost a month old, should I make a starter for it? I've never waited that long to use it.

Edit: I have a ferment fridge - 68*?

I want the hops. I have about a jar and a half of US-05 slurry from your Centennial Blonde recipe, dated 5/2/09, or 3 packets of powder. When slurry is almost a month old, should I make a starter for it? I've never waited that long to use it.

No need for a slurry starter. Just bring it to room temp 24 hours in advance and give it a periodic shake to wake it up. (Make sure to loosen the lid of you yeast container though :D)

Brewed up a half batch of this on Sunday. Was aiming for 3.25 gallons given my 5 gallon MLT. Did a double batch sparge to get about 5 gallons pre-boil, Like you mentioned earlier, I didn't want to boil it beyond 60-65 minutes to avoid darkening the color.

Followed your hop schedule to a T, smelled great. I don't have MO, so I subbed domestic 2-row, but when halving the recipe I failed to halve the Honey Malt from 4 ounces to 2. Since I didn't use the MO, I'm hoping the extra 2 ounces of honey malt will about equal things out. Came out to 1.085 after the dextrose addition. Didn't have any S-05 slurry, but the Mr Malty pitch rate calculator said 1 packet would be ideal, so that's what I did. Can't wait to taste this...

Perfect brewday -- Just pitched and in the fermentation fridge. Ended up with exactly 6.5 gallons at 1.083. I added 0.5 oz of centennial at FWB to adjust for differences in AA, so I should be looking at 104.7 IBU's.

Thanks for the recipe, BM. I'm going to post a pic of the bowling ball hop bag shortly.

I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. Here's a pic of the hop bag... :rockin:

3598247422_55718a89c3.jpg

And Maddox supervising transfer into the fermenter...

3597440033_6fa1cc4a09.jpg

Wow... Vinnie published the recipe for Pliny the Elder in the July/August edition of Zymurgy. It has a whopping 12.5 ounces of hops, including 3.5 ounces of Columbus/Tomahawk (13.9%) at the start of the boil!! I realize you weren't making an exact copy, but an "inspired by" beer. I've got my grain and hops to brew this weekend. :)

BM - Did you have any problems with hop particles going into the keg? I just kegged yesterday and the dry hops (pellets) started swimming around in the beer as I got about half way down, so it got a bit chunky toward the end.

PS: Congrats on your victory!!

Hi,

I REALLY want to brew this recipe this Saturday. I also REALLY want work out of my existing hop inventory. When doing subs, I know I need to consider flavor/aroma and bittering but frankly am having a difficult time with this many additions. Can you help here is what I have.

5.4% Cascade Pellet
4.8% Fuggle Pellet
11.5% Chinook Pellet
3% Hallertau Pellets (GR)
4.5% U.S. Golding Pellet
8.9% Northern Brewer (GR) Pellet
3.3% Tettnanger (GR) Pellet
8% Centennial Pellet
7.5% Sterling

I hope you read down this far, because I also have to specify what hop utilization formula to plug into beer tools. There are three settings, boil time, gravity correction and pellets correction. Here are my choices.

Boil Time: Basic, Ragar, Garetz, Mosher, Tinseth, Daniels, Fowler
Gravity Correction: None, Common, Mosher, Tinseth, Fowler
Pellet Hops Correction: None Garetz, Mosher, Daniels Fowler

Thanks a bunch. This will be the 4th Biermuncher recipe, 2 are home runs, 3rd is primary. Based on my experience, I prefer the way your recipes turn out over Jamil's.

Hi,

I REALLY want to brew this recipe this Saturday. I also REALLY want work out of my existing hop inventory. When doing subs, I know I need to consider flavor/aroma and bittering but frankly am having a difficult time with this many additions. Can you help here is what I have.

5.4% Cascade Pellet
4.8% Fuggle Pellet
11.5% Chinook Pellet
3% Hallertau Pellets (GR)
4.5% U.S. Golding Pellet
8.9% Northern Brewer (GR) Pellet
3.3% Tettnanger (GR) Pellet
8% Centennial Pellet
7.5% Sterling

I hope you read down this far, because I also have to specify what hop utilization formula to plug into beer tools. There are three settings, boil time, gravity correction and pellets correction. Here are my choices.

Boil Time: Basic, Ragar, Garetz, Mosher, Tinseth, Daniels, Fowler
Gravity Correction: None, Common, Mosher, Tinseth, Fowler
Pellet Hops Correction: None Garetz, Mosher, Daniels Fowler

Thanks a bunch. This will be the 4th Biermuncher recipe, 2 are home runs, 3rd is primary. Based on my experience, I prefer the way your recipes turn out over Jamil's.
Stay away from Fuggles, Hallertau, Goldings, Tett and NB. They will get lost in this style of beer.

If it were me, I'd use Chinook as a sub for the Amarillo and use the cascade and centennial at will. Use the tinseth and focus on late additions to slaughter this beer with flavor and aroma. Reserve some of those citrus hops for dry hopping though. :mug:

Can't wait to try this one. The web site I'm ordering from does not have summit hops. Is there a reasonable substitute? Are the hop weights for whole or pellet? Does it matter? Sorry for all the questions, still learning.

Do you recommend additional yeast a few days before bottling for bottle conditioning?
You would only add yeast for bottle conditioning at the time of bottling.

In this case though, I think you're safe doing without.

Just give the secondary a bit of a stir to make sure you get ample yeast into your bottling bucket.

I'm drinking mine now and it is incredible. Great recipe.

1083 OG, 1010 FG, 9.56% ABV. Kegged 7/13

The only thing I did differently was add a second dry hop addition of 0.5 oz amarillo and 0.5 oz simcoe a week after the first dry hop, and let sit for another week (so 2 week total dry hop).

Here's a pic of a pint pulled straight from the keg. The ones that I bottled from the keg pour crystal clear. Cheers BM! :mug:

3837933344_4655025959.jpg

I'm drinking mine now and it is incredible. Great recipe.

1083 OG, 1010 FG, 9.56% ABV. Kegged 7/13

The only thing I did differently was add a second dry hop addition of 0.5 oz amarillo and 0.5 oz simcoe a week after the first dry hop, and let sit for another week (so 2 week total dry hop).

Here's a pic of a pint pulled straight from the keg. The ones that I bottled from the keg pour crystal clear. Cheers BM! :mug:

3837933344_4655025959.jpg

That beer is making me hungry for some pretzels. Excellent specimen you have there.

I brewed this back in early Sept. and tasted one last night. After 3 weeks in the bottle I had to try one but of course it was under carbonated. The wife and I both enjoyed it anyway. Maybe I should have added more yeast at bottling.
I rolled all the bottles around to get the yeast suspended again and will wait another month to sample the next.

I brewed this back in early Sept. and tasted one last night. After 3 weeks in the bottle I had to try one but of course it was under carbonated. The wife and I both enjoyed it anyway. Maybe I should have added more yeast at bottling.
I rolled all the bottles around to get the yeast suspended again and will wait another month to sample the next.

Yeah. Agitate those bottles some and make sure they're resting at 70 degrees or full carbonation will take a lot longer.

I agitated once a week and finally tried one Saturday night. It carbed nicely. Great lacing/flavor/aroma/balance.... We were at a football party and I slide it over to my wife to sample. It put a huge smile on her face. Thanks BM.

Already have the hops ordered and I'm all set to brew this:mug:

I'm probably just blind, but what are the fermentation instructions on this? How long in the primary? Secondary? Bottle or keg? Temperatures?

Is there a tool I can use to convert this to a 5-gallon batch size?
I can't seem to find Safale-50 yeast anywhere, what's the next best thing?

EDIT:
Yup, I'm blind. I blame too much time staring at textbooks all day.
She'll get a full month in the primary. Then onto the secondary for at least 14 days on the dry hops.

I figure then she'll go to keg and into the garage at 45 degrees for at least 4-6 weeks.

I recon this will be fully drinkable sometime around St. Patti's day. I'll probably go right to bottles once it's carb'd up.

Back