caramel flavor in all my brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krc333

Reaction score
I’m on my third batch of beer and so far all of them seem to have a familiar caramel taste. I’ve did an Irish pale ale first, fat tire clone, and an Oktoberfest from extract. The first one was really good, but the fat tire clone and the Oktoberfest both have a very similar caramel taste. Is it from using the extract or am I doing something wrong? I currently have a larger that’s about a week away from bottling so I’ll be interested If it happens there as well.

This is a common flavor that runs through most extract beers. To minimize it, use DME and add most of it very late in the boil.

But if you stir a lot you would have less of it if not prevent it completely?

hmm, not sure on that one. Boiling water circulates pretty darn good on its own.

I think if you want to avoid it some is to add the bulk of your extract late in the boil. The hot break is already pretty much done for you with extracts. Boiling it for 15 minutes would be enough to kill any bad things in it.

But if you stir a lot you would have less of it if not prevent it completely?

Stirring prevents scorching. This is good. You definitely have to prevent scorching or you will get nasty carbon flavors in your beer. But make no mistake, stirring does nothing whatsoever to prevent or delay the carmelization process. You boil sugar to turn it into caramel after all. This is the same thing but on a slower scale depending on the relative quantity of water to sugar (extract)

So the three things you can do to get rid of ths flavor. 1. Use only DME or if pushed the freshest LME possible (definitely not canned.) 2. Add all but a pound of your extracts with 10-15 mis left in boil. 3. Use as much water as possible during the entire boil process. This will lower the sugar concentration = lower caramelization.

The first batch I no doubt scorched the bottom of my keg because I didn’t turn off the burner when I poured it in, but the last two times I did turn it off and stirred the mix for about five minutes once I started the flame again. In my process (and instructions) I always to pour in the LME (not canned)at boil and then leave it boiling for about 45 mins to an hour. I haven’t been monitoring my temps really closely so I’m sure that’s part of the issue as well. What is the price difference between DME and LME? I don’t even think I’ve seen DME at my local homebrew store.

Yeah, DME is more expensive than LME. I think as much as $.12 per pint more in the finished product.

Seriously though, I just have a thing against canned LME because I believe there is no incentive for the manufacturer or retailer to keep the stuff fresh and I believe that it picks up that "twang" while it sits in the can.

My LHBS told me that DME was almost twice as much money as LME

I tend to notice what is called an "LME twain" when using it, DME is easier to use, a little more concentrated, and not as susceptible to going stale as LME. But it should not be twice as expensive unless they are padding their profits nicely off of it. (LME is heavier, and more bulky to ship).

Ever notice how much working for a living gets in the way of living?[/QUOTE said:
Never let school get in the way of your education, or work get in the way of your life. :rockin:

At my LHBS DME (at $3.95/lb) IS about twice the cost of their bulk LME ($2.00/lb). Gladly I've had no issues with their bulk stuff, I know they sell a lot of it because two times I've been there recently they've been changing out the barrel. If canned was my only liquid choice, I'd choose dry - The kits I made with canned extract did seem to have a bit of twang to them.

Back