Didn't Rinse PBW Well Enough.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBrewskie

Reaction score
I kegged a beer after using PBW and then sanitizing the keg. Hit it with the gas and when I purged the release valve blew out some PWB. I think I may not have rinsed the lid. Thoughts? I don't think it will be a big issue, but wanted to check with you all.

McBrewskie said:
I kegged a beer after using PBW and then sanitizing the keg. Hit it with the gas and when I purged the release valve blew out some PWB. I think I may not have rinsed the lid. Thoughts? I don't think it will be a big issue, but wanted to check with you all.

If it was just the lid, I don't think you'll die. Or even get sick. If I recall correctly, I remember reading on another thread that PBW in the concentrations we use is not dangerous. However, I am not an expert and my advice is useless. If you die, I take no responsibility!😳

I followed ill advice from the LHBS on my 1st brew. They gave me a small bag of repackaged PBW. It said on their label it was no rinse. Not knowing any better,I followed it & the beer came out fine. I then followed what was said on here. Yooper's advice,as wellas revvy's,if I remember correctly.

So you no rinsed and didn't get sick or any of that? If so awesome. I'll just be the guinepig before letting others drink it.

So you no rinsed and didn't get sick or any of that? If so awesome. I'll just be the guinepig before letting others drink it.

I did drain it out well though. So all that was left was what coated the fermenter,etc. Seems to me I only mixed 1oz per gallon then as well. I mix 1.5oz per gallon now,& it def works faster. I started soaking my Cooper's micro brew Fv yesterday,& a couple hours later,everything coating the inside dropped to the bottom.

Star-san IS NO RINSE
Powdered Brewers wash IS NOT!

Hmm, quite! My post was meant more to illustrate the audicity of the pressure relief valve to often hold on to a minute amount of liquid, ejecting said liquid upon release of said valve. Thereby leading one to the often false conclusion that the keg is befouled by an offending amount of a foreign liquid, be it the ever ingestible StarSan or the akin to Agent Orange PBW, and the beer in question is forever sullied. In sooth, a besmirched lid is but a small issue in a sea of greater problems.

Sir, I shall, however, from this day forth, upon your counsel, refrain from my nightly toddy of scotch and powdered brewery wash, much good though it has done me!!

:p

Hmm, quite! My post was meant more to illustrate the audicity of the pressure relief valve to often hold on to a minute amount of liquid, ejecting said liquid upon release of said valve. Thereby leading one to the often false conclusion that the keg is befouled by an offending amount of a foreign liquid, be it the ever ingestible StarSan or the akin to Agent Orange PBW, and the beer in question is forever sullied. In sooth, a besmirched lid is but a small issue in a sea of greater problems.

Sir, I shall, however, from this day forth, upon your counsel, refrain from my nightly toddy of scotch and powdered brewery wash, much good though it has done me!!

:p

I think this is what happened. I think the valve held some PBW and when I purged it it farted that stuff out.

Back