Still Braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunnerm109a6

Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I just cracked a bottle of 7 month old small batch spiced braggot...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/buddys-spiced-braggot-349716/

The Braggot tasted fantastic but I was a little disappointed that it did not carbonate. I have two 750ml Belgian bottles left and I want to see if I can carb them after the fact. I am thinking that I can simply add a few drops of (.5ml or so) yeast slurry and re-cork.
Does this make sense or am I totally off my rocker?

Has anybody had any experience with this?

:mug:

If the yeast is over its tolerance, or there is not more sugar to eat, you won't get any carbonation. What yeast did you use? What was the final gravity. A quick google says nottingham yeast is around 12% Tolerance.

so 1.105 to 1.013 is right around ~12 percent. I would add a bit of sugar water to the bottles. This might dilute it back below 12 percent and hopefully reactivate your yeast. I think If you add a new strain of stronger yeast, it may

A: eat all the sugars changing the flavor or
B: Eat so much and produce bottle bombs

or A and B.

After doing a little research, I opened the bottles re-pitched a .5ml dose of re-hydrated simple champagne yeast and re-corked & caged them. I'm not so worried about bottle bombs with the Belgian bottles but I kept the dose small just in case. We will see in a month or so if this was a good idea or not.

Latest posts

Back