just got a 55 gal oak barrel.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseHair

Reaction score
Got it from a local brewery its a francois feres barrel, compared to others it looks unused until i looked inside and for a medium+ toast it looks pretty raw(guessing it was steamed out). Do you think it would okay to put beer in it? Any suggestions on cleaning? It seems like its been hanging out for a while because its pretty dried out i was thinking of filling with hot liquor to swell it tight again.

L6NvOVw.jpg

Inside:
nVjdhOA.jpg

fill it with warm water and see if it's tight. 55 gallons of beer is quite a bit of beer so it better be good. i ferment a sour in there.

fill it with warm water and see if it's tight. 55 gallons of beer is quite a bit of beer so it better be good. i ferment a sour in there.

I was planning on going sour with it and maybe going solera style a bit and pulling off portions and adding fresh wort. Also pulling off portions to put over fruit in carboys.

Back