Gold Rush - Jungle Gold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would anyone work with the rube who invested in Toad's operation? You have to think that he had seen the first two seasons of Gold Rush. Yet he still went ahead and backed a fat slightly homeless looking guy who is a terrible miner.

If that guy would give toad money, no way I would give him my money to invest. Gold Rush really doesn't paint him in a very positive light, It could really hurt his business.

He clearly didn't think this thru well.

I gave Bamazon a shot on the History Channel. From what I can tell it is about a bunch of unprepared Alabama boys destroying the rainforest, their equipment, and their health. The fat old guy running the crew seems to have zero idea how to run a construction operation and the crew's "mining equipment" consists of a large pump and a beat to #!$% excavator. I'm secretly rooting for the jaguars and snakes to take them out.

Ah yes, watched last Friday's episode and thoroughly irritated my wife by yelling expletives at Toad...

The episode started with the narrator talking about how the combined Quartz Creek / Indian River crews have stockpiled large amounts of gold rich bedrock. Apparently the bedrock is extremely difficult to work with and process at the plant, but contains the most gold. The crews have to carefully monitor their equipment to make sure that they don't overload it with the heavy bedrock material.

The narrator then goes on to state that Dave Turin is going to be leaving for several days to take care of family business back home. At this point, I face palmed. I knew exactly what was going to happen. The Toad was going to be in charge without anyone to challenge his idiotic decisions. Seriously, Turin you're leaving now?

My favorite part was where Toad and Turin discuss the plans for the next few days while Turn is out of town.

Toad: "I want to start that next cut."
Turin: "What are you stupid? We have a gold rich material stockpiled here. Run it."
Toad: "Okay, we'll talk about the cut when you get back."

Turn hasn't even loaded his duffel bags into his truck when the cameras go back to Toad.

Toad: "Oh yeah we're going to start that cut tonight. I don't care what Turin thinks. We need to make a thousand ounces, and I feel that this is the only way."

Episode continues to the point where Toad's crew begins the new cut and accomplishes nothing. Toad also manages to severely damage Big Red, and during the washout a large amount of gold is found in the final few feet of the sluice box. Somehow, they manage to turn a record clean out and Toad manages to put a rosy outlook on their week. However, I'm sitting on the couch thinking to myself, "How much freaking gold did Toad let go through the box?" It must have been a huge amount judging on what was in the last few feet of the box.

My thoughts exactly.

As Toad and Turin were having the conversation about opening the cut I knew that Toad would go ahead and do it even though Turin told him not to. I was actually kind of pissed that they didn't get a worse clean out.

They would have had thier 1000 ounces in that last clean-out; if Toad did not wash it all out of the sluice box. Typical Toad.

I don't know, my wife and I definitely picked up on it. Plus you have to figure there isn't much to do at Porcupine Creek especially with Dakota Fred around.

I definitely didn't get that vibe. They do seem to have formed sort of an alliance to oppose Fred though.

Maybe it's not just Dustin and Melody. Maybe it's Dustin, Melody, AND Fred...

They don't call it the glory hole for nothing!

^ haha! I would be very suprised to see Dustin with that lady. I mean cmon she is to old. Plus, she not even cougar material!

I don't get the impression that Dustin and Fred are far out of town either so I am guessing she doesn't live at the mine like they do.

I don't get the impression that Dustin and Fred are far out of town either so I am guessing she doesn't live at the mine like they do.

There have been comments on the show that she's married, I highly doubt she's staying at the mine with two dudes instead of at home with her husband.

Parker, right across the way, doesn't stay at the mind, so I would agree they must be closer to town.

How is Toad going to make his 1,000 ounce goal now with all the Quartz creek material processed? A better question is why didn't they stockpile more material in the two months they did nothing waiting for the fancy trommel to arrive and then not operate? They should have a mountain of material to transport for processing at Indian River....

I'm thinking that its coming down to Parker and the Dakotas for the big winner this year. The nuggets that Parker pulled out were impressive but he's going to need a lot of them in a short amount of time to make serious money. The Dakota's operation has been producing gold all year - I think they've made an impressive profit per person. If they can somehow get through that final layer of cemented soils they really might strike it rich.

Although, I will say that after my 40 hours of OSHA refresher training this week, the fact that they have zero shoring, zero reinforcement and no escape in case of cave in are setting themselves up for big fines and shutdowns from MSHA. I realize MSHA and OSHA are separate entities, but I can't imagine the hole they've dug complying with MSHA regulations. That thing has running water coming into it - at some point it is going to cave in.

2-hour live finale Friday. Let's hope Toad isn't the winner.

They've already got >700 ounces of gold, I don't think anyone else is going to beat that, short of someone finding a pot of leprechaun gold...

Yea, I was wondering about the state of material at quartz. It sounded like they pulled all the material they could out of it, or did they just finish a cut and need to open a new cut? Either way they're kinda screwed...

Is it just me, or was the transition between the last two episodes strange?

Todd started that cut against Dave's advice, the wash plant had to be shut down (again), and then in the last episode they had no more dirt to work and had to go back to Quartz Creek?

They've already got >700 ounces of gold, I don't think anyone else is going to beat that, short of someone finding a pot of leprechaun gold...

True but they also have a fleet of equipment and an army of workers compared to everyone else on the show. If we're going on gold mined then yea they win, but I wonder if they'd still win if you take in to account running cost and payout per person.

Yep - just like Deadliest Catch used to tell the audience. There was the crab count (weight) per boat leaderboard and then they had the payout per deck hand on each boat. I was always surprised that the highest net grossing boats didn't pay out as well as others.

If you're looking just at profits - I think the Dakota boys are going win this outright. They have a three person crew, less equipment than the others, and didn't buy a POS experimental trommel! Their costs seem fairly low compared to the others - I suspect that they'll pay out nicely.

Yep - just like Deadliest Catch used to tell the audience. There was the crab count (weight) per boat leaderboard and then they had the payout per deck hand on each boat. I was always surprised that the highest net grossing boats didn't pay out as well as others.

If you're looking just at profits - I think the Dakota boys are going win this outright. They have a three person crew, less equipment than the others, and didn't buy a POS experimental trommel! Their costs seem fairly low compared to the others - I suspect that they'll pay out nicely.

Don't forget Fred and Parker (grandpa john)own the mineral rights to their claim (Parker did lease some) Toad is forking out somewhere between 10-20% of his gold to the claim owners, first before expenses.

That's a good point. Also need to consider the amount of cash Parker doled out to build that road earlier in the season. If he can get back up to the original claim by Porcupine Creek he'll get a lot of gold. There just isn't a safe way up there.

Anyone find it strange that Toads dad is the only one who weights the gold??? In any business where there is a large amount of money there must be some accountability. Also notice how the last clean out was exactly 200 ounces?

I often wonder how much is being, umm, ahh, held back

Toy4Rick

Anyone find it strange that Toads dad is the only one who weights the gold??? In any business where there is a large amount of money there must be some accountability. Also notice how the last clean out was exactly 200 ounces?

Toy4Rick

Yeah, seems weird that's all Todd's dad does (on camera, at least).

Toy4Rick

Yep.

Grandpa Toad in the gold room:

"One ounce for me. One ounce for you. One ounce for me. One ounce for you...."

Back