Single tier w/ gas wok burners PICS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedrewski86

Reaction score
My buddy and I recently finished up the new brewstand. We made it out of 1"x2" steel (3/16") and some 1/8" plate. Every joint is TIG welded all around. We were thinking of using it as a lift for our trucks when it's not being used to brew!

brewstand.jpg

He has instagram skills (I don't):

brew2.jpg

Burners are natural gas wok burners. Two 23 tip units for sparge and mash, 32 tip for boil. Pretty cheap online, I believe $45 and $60 ea respectively. We used the bottom 1"x2" piece as a gas manifold and welded some 3/4" fittings on for hookups. I attached everything w/ 24" flexible supply lines. Controls are just 3/4" full port ball valves, they work fine.

image_zps80a1f845.jpg

image_zps9e0525ad.jpg

During testing it became pretty obvious that the pot on the heat shields suffocated the flame so I cut some vents in. Works awesome now. Great flame and I can't tell any fluctuation when I fire up one compared to the other.

image_zps4c61055b.jpg

I plan to use it next week. I would like to run some water lines before but we'll see if I have time.

I have a pdf w/ dimensions if anyone thinks this is so awesome they want to build one but it's pretty simple. I only spent maybe $150 on steel, it was a really cheap project. Next I need to upgrade my kettles, found a deal on 40 gal ones which is what we built this system for, that should be fun!

Just did my first batch on the new system. Pretty simple 10 gal. of Cascade/wheat pale ale. Everything went great except I now know for sure that I have to run my new water lines before the next batch. It's pretty annoying running garden hose for the time being.

IMG_0279_zps4a6516f4.jpg

IMG_0288_zpsd01e077d.jpg

The biggest limitations now are my 13 gal. kettles. I have to be VERY careful bringing my BK up to a boil and my burner is more than capable of tearing it up. The upgrade to the 1 bbl system will be very easy now. :ban:

Also w/ the small kettles I don't bother with any recirculation. I've done it in the past but I don't feel it nets me all that much w/ the little batches. I'm looking forward to having a setup on the 1 bbl system that makes it easier.

Love this. Would like to see your spec for the rig build. Curious about size and spacing.

What is your opinion of the noise level of the burners? I use SQ 14's, and they are dead quiet, but the flame rolls out from around the kettles considerably.
If I could get somewhere between jet burner and SQ 14, I could live with that.

Back