Did my beer get a nasty infection? Got a white pellicle on an APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanmills

Reaction score
Made a basic american pale ale. Pitched with W1056 on 29 Jun with an og of 1.045. Today (10 jul) it's at 1.010 and tastes about as I'm expecting (first time with this recipe) but it has a thin white still dusting across the top with some large bubbles.

Looks like this:

I don't recall having seen one this distinct before.

How does it taste?

In his first post, he said that it tasted as he expected it to. At least, that was what I took from it.. he may have been referring to when he took his OG readings.

It's definitely got a pellicle going on. I'd probably go ahead and bottle it, and watch for gushers. Drink 'em quick, because they will go south in a few weeks.

This is a pale ale. I racked it onto fruit and infected it with Jolly Pumpkin dregs. Looks alot like yours.

ForumRunner_20120710_193930.jpg

Don't throw it out. Go ahead and bottle it when it's ready. I recently had an APA do the same thing and it didn't turn out too bad.
I checked one at 1 week then every week after that to make sure they didn't over carbonate and make bottle bombs. They carbonated quite nicely.

I'd just bottle and drink them. Like others have said, watch out for bottle bombs.

Yeah that's what I'm going for. It will be in a corny keg, the pressure release should keep it from blowing up on me. Any way, got a big party on the twentieth, so it should be gone before it gets bad.

Will kmeta kill this stuff? I have campden, and i'll be force carbonating it.

or if you're adventurous you could throw it in a glass carboy and age it for a bit. looks a lot like brett from my limited experience. did a beer with old ale blend and that's exactly what the pellicle looked like.

or if you're adventurous you could throw it in a glass carboy and age it for a bit. looks a lot like brett from my limited experience. did a beer with old ale blend and that's exactly what the pellicle looked like.

I have plans for this one. Does it propogate well? Like, can I take a culture off the top and use it to innoculate another batch later? I figure I'd let it breed then keep it in the fridge for up to a few months.

It would be a really local beer!

One Camden tablet let it sit two days. The infection is in your equipment. Clean soap and water brush out your siphon get new tube for siphon. Clean everything I mean clean.scrub, brush, then sanitize everything.Had this happen and it cost me 35gal.

One Camden tablet let it sit two days. The infection is in your equipment. Clean soap and water brush out your siphon get new tube for siphon. Clean everything I mean clean.scrub, brush, then sanitize everything.Had this happen and it cost me 35gal.

Ouch. Well I have several other batches going on, and none look like this. But this was the last one I brewed. Yeah all this gear is getting a thorough wash, nice long bleach soak, then a steam.

Ya get it out of the area fast I am sure that mine was in the siphon. Good brewing man and hop it all works out

I have plans for this one. Does it propogate well? Like, can I take a culture off the top and use it to innoculate another batch later? I figure I'd let it breed then keep it in the fridge for up to a few months.

It would be a really local beer!

I wouldn't go inoculating anything with it until you know how it tastes.

But I second the idea of just leaving it for six months to a year and seeing what happens, assuming a) you don't absolutely need the beer and b) you don't absolutely need the fermenter.

I wouldn't go inoculating anything with it until you know how it tastes.

But I second the idea of just leaving it for six months to a year and seeing what happens, assuming a) you don't absolutely need the beer and b) you don't absolutely need the fermenter.

Well I'd put it in a smaller one or two gallon batch if I did that. I kinda need the beer and the fermenter too.

Back