My 150 qt mash tun build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarter

Reaction score
I am up-scaling my brew rig to make 25 gallon batches, that means that I needed to replace my old 48 qt tun with a 150 qt tun. Here is the result.

I started with this marine cooler that I received as a safety award years ago.

150 qt Mega mash tun before build.jpg

Then I installed a drain system made from 1/2 in hot water pvc. None of the joints are glued and each of the lines has holes drilled one inch apart down the length of the pipe.

150 Qt mega mash tun after drain install.jpg

The drip distribution system looks something like this. I will upload a pic of it soon.

2012 Brewing  (40).jpg

I have since upgraded to a HERMS and never tested the efficiency but it always made GREAT beer!

I am getting ready to build w the exact same cooler. I was wondering about heat absorbtion. In my 48 quart, I used 180 deg. H2O to get 152 deg mash. How was it for you? Any suggestions or problems I might have? Anything you didn't like about it? Also, I've always used one single drip arm, and I like your drip system, but was wondering if it actually dripped out all the holes? Anyways, I'd really appreciate your feedback. Thanks.......

I would lose about 18-20 def F if I just dump on the grains but if you warm it up with a gallon of boiling water, you can use 165 deg f to mash in at 150-152 deg F. As for the drip system, it worked well if you move your water through a 1/2 in hose and keep everything level. I haven't used this setup for a couple of years since I upgraded to a 1 bbl electric but I always had good results with it and it was pretty cheap to build since I already had the cooler.

I would lose about 18-20 def F if I just dump on the grains but if you warm it up with a gallon of boiling water, you can use 165 deg f to mash in at 150-152 deg F. As for the drip system, it worked well if you move your water through a 1/2 in hose and keep everything level. I haven't used this setup for a couple of years since I upgraded to a 1 bbl electric but I always had good results with it and it was pretty cheap to build since I already had the cooler.

Thanks man I'm going to give it a go. Got the cooler at SAMs club for $70. Right now I'm doing two back to back mashes to get 28 gallon pre boil doing fly sparge. I figure doing the mash all at once will shave about 3 hrs off my brew day. Thanks for the input, and for now I think the cooler mash will work for for me. Thanks again for the reply.

Thanks man I'm going to give it a go. Got the cooler at SAMs club for $70. Right now I'm doing two back to back mashes to get 28 gallon pre boil doing fly sparge. I figure doing the mash all at once will shave about 3 hrs off my brew day. Thanks for the input, and for now I think the cooler mash will work for for me. Thanks again for the reply.

Wow, not sure how I double replied, drinkin too much " Old Haggard Ale" clocking in at 8.2%.......

Back