Spray Paint?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeRags

Reaction score
Will spray paint stick to glass? Anyone know of any paint that will work? I want to make a stencil and paint a simple logo on my bottles. Differentiate between brews with a sharpie number on the cap.

Thanks

olllllo said:
Just a thought.

It may be just as easy to roll the paint on.
Less masking and overspray.

True... Figure I'll try a few with spray and a stencil to see how they go.

Colorado - wasnt sure if they had a paint for glass or not, just wanted to see if anyone had any experience. I'll check on it though.

Thanks

There is a paint for glass that is clear and is called "stained glass" spray paint.

200409232256058b2004-0910-0214.jpg

Try that.

knights of Gambrinus said:
There is a paint for glass that is clear and is called "stained glass" spray paint.

200409232256058b2004-0910-0214.jpg

Try that.

I'd prefer it not to be a translucent paint... I want solid color.

Bobby_M said:
I'm not sure there's a paint that won't stick. You ever try getting latex or otherwise off of glass when you weren't trying to paint it?

Latex peels off with just a fingernail. I want some paint that will hold up.

Melana said:
What about etching? Those kits are available at local crafting stores and are very easy to use!

Yea, thought about that too... Seems like painting would be so much easier and less time consuming.

I just got done trying it and the paint sticks great, I even used the cheap store brand. The only problem is creating crisp lettering, the paint streaked a bit. I plan on trying some different methods over the next few days to see if I can get it to work better. I'll post when I figure something good out.

have you tried the stenciling technique of dabbing the paint on with a sponge? Of course, then you would have to make a stencil

I used an adhesive vinyl and cut out the design I wanted with an exacto knife. Stuck it to the bottle and spayed the paint, waited and peeled off the vinyl. I think I may not have pressed down the vinyl enough and didn't wait long enough to let dry before I peeled. I plan on being more cautious on the next bottle and see what happens. Overall I see alot of potential though.

Steven

HEGENSCHWARTZ said:
I used an adhesive vinyl and cut out the design I wanted with an exacto knife. Stuck it to the bottle and spayed the paint, waited and peeled off the vinyl. I think I may not have pressed down the vinyl enough and didn't wait long enough to let dry before I peeled. I plan on being more cautious on the next bottle and see what happens. Overall I see alot of potential though.

Steven

Thats quite a bit of labor. I was hoping I could get away with a normal stencil, but I realize its going to be difficult to achieve satisfactory results with such a process.

Yeah, it is alittle work. I am thinking of only doing it when I give some to family and such. Once you make the graphic you are happy with you should be able to use it over again, but you are still doing one bottle at a time. Stick, spray, wait, peel, stick, spray, wait, peel, ...
Steven

They used to have glass etching kits at michael's that would work great. It is some kind of solution that etches the glass permanently. That might be good for what you want. Only problem is they stopped carrying it around here because grafitti artisits use it to tag windows....

Back