Hop mixing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking while out having a smoke (bad idea)...

Has anyone ever tried mixing hops all together at the beginning, then putting an ounce here, half ounce there, etc into the brew at your hopping schedule? Has anyone else had the same idea?

Just wondering what kind of interesting flavors could be had by just mixing up 3 oz of hops that would go together and just putting them in mixed up instead of 1oz of xxx hop at 60, 1 oz of yyy hop at 30, and 1 of zzz hop at flame out.

Jez,

This is exactly what I did on Tuesday. I put one ounce of each: summit, northern brewer, cascade, and simcoe, into a bowl and stirred them up good. Then I added them (I know the times are funky, but I had a little issue running out of propane with the turkey fryer):

1 oz. 60 min.

1 oz 40 min.

.5 oz 20 min.

.5 oz 15 min.

.5 oz 10 min.

.5 oz flame out.

I made an IPA this way and look forward to tasting it, as the hops smelled amazing in the bowl. I almost had to pour some ranch dressing over them and have a salad!:D

That's how Walker's IPA is done, with the exception of the bittering hops. He's got additions at 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, and 0 minutes, so otherwise it would be an absolute PITA.

Where's Walker been, anyway? :confused:

I think Anheuser Bush does that too. They call it blending of hops and it helps them to maintain the flavor profile even if some of the hop flavors change.

Kai

Back