Smells Funky

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-bag

Reaction score
My batch of fermenting beer smells kind of funky sort of like a sour hoppy smell. i didnt notice any smell last time i brewed but this time i can smell it coming out of the airlock. What does beer usually smell like while fermenting? its a pale ale and i added the hops to the boil instead of steeping them in a bag. could the weird smell be the yeast going through the hop sediment? or is my beer contaminated?

My batch of fermenting beer smells kind of funky sort of like a sour hoppy smell. i didnt notice any smell last time i brewed but this time i can smell it coming out of the airlock. What does beer usually smell like while fermenting? its a pale ale and i added the hops to the boil instead of steeping them in a bag. could the weird smell be the yeast going through the hop sediment? or is my beer contaminated?

Beer usually smells weird when it's fermenting. The smell is kind of yeasty, but it's hard to describe. You'll be able to identify it in time. You're fine.

You are likely OK. Typically the smells you smell from the airlock are things leaving your beer, not what your beer is going to smell or taste like.

What is your fermenting temperature?

You are likely OK. Typically the smells you smell from the airlock are things leaving your beer, not what your beer is going to smell or taste like.

What is your fermenting temperature?

well thats another story see my thermometer broke while i was cooling my wort so i knew it was around 70 but i could have been over or under so i just pitched and it started going in under 24 hours using white labs

Back