My All Simcoe Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan Lendl

Reaction score
Is awesome! The bitterness is a tad harsh but not too much. The nose is similar to northern brewer but unique. Its pretty damn good!

Ive got a single hopped Yakima Magnum PA that will be done in a few weeks ill keep yall posted.

Isn't that pineapple aroma from those simcoes awesome? One of my favorite hops as far as aroma.

We gotta get together and brew dude. At least exchange some brews.

Andre Agassi said:
Is awesome! The bitterness is a tad harsh but not too much. The nose is similar to northern brewer but unique. Its pretty damn good!
I'd like to experiment with Simcoe, but this is confusing:confused:

It's awesome , but a tad harsh? Sounds like a bong rip of AK47 to me.

What do you like most about it?
Do the AAU make it harsh and take it over the top?
Would it work better with a neutral kettle hop like perle to reduce the harshness?
Feedback my man! ;)

glibbidy said:
I'd like to experiment with Simcoe, but this is confusing:confused:

It's awesome , but a tad harsh? Sounds like a bong rip of AK47 to me.

What do you like most about it?
Do the AAU make it harsh and take it over the top?
Would it work better with a neutral kettle hop like perle to reduce the harshness?
Feedback my man! ;)

Its just a tad harsh like youd get with chinook but not as bad. The ibu's are only about 45 with an og of 1.042, for comparison ive got a similar pa i used columbus for bittering and simcoe for flavor/aroma (but dry hopped with amarillo) and that beer is around 55 ibu's but has a more clean bitterness.

I think next time ill bitter with columbus and flavor/aroma/dry hop with simcoe. that should be the ****!

I like it because it is different i guess.

Dude said:
Isn't that pineapple aroma from those simcoes awesome? One of my favorite hops as far as aroma.

We gotta get together and brew dude. At least exchange some brews.

Definitely! I think im done brewing untill september though because well, have you been outside lately? hopefully this 117 degree heat index crap wont last too much longer!

I just bleached out my primary today and im icthin to get something in it already...

I'll have to give these hops a try and expand my horizons. Could you possibly attribute a bittering harshness to a higher cohumulone ratio with this hop?

Different is good. Thanks for the insight.

Andre Agassi said:
Definitely! I think im done brewing untill september though because well, have you been outside lately? hopefully this 117 degree heat index crap wont last too much longer!

I just bleached out my primary today and im icthin to get something in it already...

Yeah, I'm not brewing this month either. It is miserable. To keep my streak alive--I'm doing a mead. :D

I'd like to brew one more time with SwAMi, he leaves inearly September. Gotta pick a day and do that hop harvest ale.

Dude said:
Yeah, I'm not brewing this month either. It is miserable. To keep my streak alive--I'm doing a mead. :D

I'd like to brew one more time with SwAMi, he leaves inearly September. Gotta pick a day and do that hop harvest ale.

Are you gonna enter anything in that 'Blue ridge Brew Off' In Asheville NC (i think)?
I am just to get feedback.

Back