Sani question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickyG

Reaction score
Hello members!

First time poster and brewer! I have always wanted to do this and have my first batch fermenting!

I have a sani question. I read here someone said that it is good enough to clean a kangaroos pouch...HAHA!

My next step after i ferment will be to bottle. I found on craigs list 5 cases of 24x12oz bottles for $5 per case! I couldnt resist. Anyways, They are in their boxes with flaps. Each on has been opened. Reflapped but not taped. The bottles look clean and dont see any past brew in them.
BUT....they look like they have been sitting in a basement for a few years.

Here is what I am doing:

rinse each with TAP water
run 1 case at a time in dishwasher
make a mix of sani
sani bottles per direction, then put back in case.

When it is time to bottle, I will do another sani.

Is this what you would do or am i being a little paranoid?

Thanks!
RickyG

Hello members!

First time poster and brewer! I have always wanted to do this and have my first batch fermenting!

I have a sani question. I read here someone said that it is good enough to clean a kangaroos pouch...HAHA!

My next step after i ferment will be to bottle. I found on craigs list 5 cases of 24x12oz bottles for $5 per case! I couldnt resist. Anyways, They are in their boxes with flaps. Each on has been opened. Reflapped but not taped. The bottles look clean and dont see any past brew in them.
BUT....they look like they have been sitting in a basement for a few years.

Here is what I am doing:

rinse each with TAP water
run 1 case at a time in dishwasher
make a mix of sani
sani bottles per direction, then put back in case.

When it is time to bottle, I will do another sani.

Is this what you would do or am i being a little paranoid?

Thanks!
RickyG

you don't need to sanitize the bottles until moments before bottling. once the star san or iodophor dries it is no longer sanitized. both are "contact" sanitizers

I'd modify it down to

1. rinse the bottles.
2. soak them in oxyclean or pbw
3. wash them in the dishwasher then put them away.

then when you need to bottle simple run them through the dishwasher to get any loose dust off and sanitize

wormraper...PBW?
b-boy, already have first case with detergent....should i just rerun them without?

PBW is a cleaner like Oxyclean. I just buy Oxyclean free from Walmart or target. The Oxyclean free is odorless. As for the detergent I would just rinse the bottles out really good. U don't want any soap residue in ur bottles it could ruin the head of ur beer.

geim32....oxyclean as in the laundry soap with stain fighter?

yes, this stuff
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GI8UOE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

or you can get the "SUN" brand oxygen cleaner from walmart for cheaper. same stuff, also if you want to replicate PBW as much as possible get the Red Devil TSP from ACE hardware and mix a 2-1 ratio of Oxy/RD TsP... one scoop in a 6 gallon bucket is more than enough. (the RD TSP added to the oxyclean will stop the "crystals" that another member was talking about, although those with the "issues with Oxyclean are few and far between)

and DON'T use dishwashing detergent with the dishwasher, just run it with no soap on the "sanitation" mode. that runs it uber hot to kill any bacteria

Last edited by a moderator:
Back