PhilTap Mini-Keg System?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-brewmeister

Reaction score
Anybody use the Mini keg system (the one with a PhilTap, 5 liter kegs that you have to prime w/ 1/3 cup sugar and condition for two weeks)? Looks like those kegs you get Heiniken in (can you use them with the same tap?). On northern brewer they list a different tap system from the philtap, the Party Star de Luxe CO2 Tapper. It uses 16 gram, as opposed to 12 gram, co2 cartidges. Is it better? Do either have a regulator built in? Anybody tried running Nitrogen through one? I definitely don't have room for a fullsize corny keg setup, and enjoy the process of bottling well enough, but would like to try keggin, and would like to reduce the number of bottles I need arround for all my beer. Just let me know if I would be wasting my time and money with these things.

All I can say about this system is that I did it once, and I'll never do it again. I made some mistakes with it so I can't completely discount the procedure as a bad one, but, I do know that the kegs don't last very long (maybe five or six brews?). They're nice for parties or to take on the road with you, if you're into that. However, I had four brand new mini-kegs and primed exactly the way I had read (1/3 cup of sugar if I remember right?), and two sprung a leak cause the weld was weak. It was just an overall bad experience for me and I won't do that ever again. I went to the full keg system! :D

I've been using minikegs and the philtap for about a year, I use 1 tablespoon of corn sugar per keg for priming. I've never had a problem with them. I like them because I can take 4 or 5 different beer type to a party or camping.
A friend of mine tried the mini's and hated them he bought a full corny system and loves it ( I do too, I get the best of both worlds using his system when I need to do a full 5gal in one keg.)
Just my 2 cents worth, but whats 2 cents worth anymore :)

Monkeyboy

Have just been drinking my first brew from a party star mini keg setup, and when it works properly, its great, nice carbonation level, nice head etc. But I have just had to pop a third co2 cartridge for on keg, and I have only been drinking on it for a week! What gives? Is there some leak going on? I assume the likely place a leak would happen is where the downtube pokes through the bung. Is there something I can put on the tube to make a surer seal, like vegetable oil or something? I like the convenience and size factor of the system, but if I am going to burn through the cartidges like that, it just wont be viable. :(

I had the same problem. I wrapped a piece of plummers silcon tape at the base where the tube screws into the tap. This forms a seal around the bung. I haven't had any more leaks since.

TD

I started with minikegs, but the tap kept breaking (this was not a PhilTap). Also, no pressure regulator. Flat beer or bulging kegs, couldn't find a middle ground.

D-brewmeister said:
Have just been drinking my first brew from a party star mini keg setup, and when it works properly, its great, nice carbonation level, nice head etc. But I have just had to pop a third co2 cartridge for on keg, and I have only been drinking on it for a week! What gives? Is there some leak going on? I assume the likely place a leak would happen is where the downtube pokes through the bung. Is there something I can put on the tube to make a surer seal, like vegetable oil or something? I like the convenience and size factor of the system, but if I am going to burn through the cartidges like that, it just wont be viable. :(

I've done a bit of research because I was thinking of using them but I've decided on other stuff. I was told to use Vaseline (petroleum jelly) around the bungs and that one cartridge should dispense a 5l keg if it is primed with sugar and left for 2 weeks.

Back