Igloo cooler as HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richross

Reaction score
I am finally making the switch to all grain and for my first setup I would love to try a couple of Igloo coolers as my hlt and mash tun with my 10gal kettle for boil. My question is: what is the most effective way to get heated water into the cooler/hlt? Do I simply heat to temp in my kettle and pour it into the hlt or is there a heating device that can be safely installed to bring the water to temp? Thanks

I am finally making the switch to all grain and for my first setup I would love to try a couple of Igloo coolers as my hlt and mash tun with my 10gal kettle for boil. My question is: what is the most effective way to get heated water into the cooler/hlt? Do I simply heat to temp in my kettle and pour it into the hlt or is there a heating device that can be safely installed to bring the water to temp? Thanks

Heat water in kettle, pour into mash tun. Be sure to keep in mind heat losses from pouring into cooler ( or preheat) and from adding room temp grain to 160 plus water. Calcs from beersmith or brew365 can do this for you.

You could make a heat stick if you have the available amperage and heat in the cooler without having to install an element in the cooler.

-G

I would either electrify the cooler, or buy an inexpensive kettle to use an an HLT...otherwise you are moving water around a lot...kettle to cooler HLT to MT back to kettle...

I use a converted keg as a HLT and pump water to the mash through the tun's recirc inlet. I previously pumped it into the bottom, but the mass of floating grain concealed how much water was going in. The recirc inlet has its own valve so I can control water rate as I stir in the grain. I'd love to make a hydrator one day.

Back