How much candi sugar for priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always use DME, so I"m not sure how much table sugar that would be. I use 3/4 cup DME, so I'm not even sure how much in weight that is or I could just convert.

According to beersmith DME is 1044 Sugar is 1046.

But sugar is more fermentable, 25% more I think Based on the fact the a malt wort will go from 1040 to 1010 and a sugar one will go from 1040 to 1000

So without working it out exactly I'd say use 25% less.

But my heads fried.

I pre-emptively answered that question over in this thread

mrkristofo said:
Ok, hold up there for a second. Make sure the amount you prime with since the fermentability is different than dextrose.

For Example, for a Belgian ale, say you want 2vol CO2 in the bottle, and you have a fermentation temp at 70˚F:

you'd add 0.68oz/gal of Dextrose or 0.59oz/gal of Sucrose.

I only point this out, because I've made bottle bombs without making this adjustment before.

:mug:

mrkristofo said:
I pre-emptively answered that question over in this thread

:mug:

Sweet, didn't read your entire post last time ;) I tend to scan posts with math in it, unless I need the math. I think I put a hair too much in, but I want this one to be super bubbly. Tripel's tend to be a bit over carbed. :ban:

Ó Flannagáin said:
Sweet, didn't read your entire post last time ;) I tend to scan posts with math in it, unless I need the math. I think I put a hair too much in, but I want this one to be super bubbly. Tripel's tend to be a bit over carbed. :ban:

Belgians are supposed to pour with half the beer as head, right? :D

What's your plan...melt it down then add to the bucket?

I used a dextrose & table sugar combo on my last strong ale that netted some over the top carb.

brewt00l said:
What's your plan...melt it down then add to the bucket?

I used a dextrose & table sugar combo on my last strong ale that netted some over the top carb.

Yea, put it in about a pint of water, boiled for a few minutes, threw in bottling bucket and swirled. I usually pour on top of my priming agent into the bottling bucket, but forgot this time. Hopefully swirled enough to mix it up well.

YooperBrew said:
Typical man.................................

:D

Let us know how this turns out, ok? I'd like to give it a try.

Typical woman... mind in the gutter ;)

Back