moldy blue film on top of stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a stout that has been doing great for about 5 or 6 days now. The other day I took a sample and THOUGHT I sanitized properly, but now I have accrued a blueish bubbly foam over the top the top. What is this? Did I spoil it? Can I rack it and save it? I have five more gallons of the same stout (ten gallon batch) and it looks fine. Any help i'd appreciate. Thanks!

I have a stout that has been doing great for about 5 or 6 days now. The other day I took a sample and THOUGHT I sanitized properly, but now I have accrued a blueish bubbly foam over the top the top. What is this? Did I spoil it? Can I rack it and save it? I have five more gallons of the same stout (ten gallon batch) and it looks fine. Any help i'd appreciate. Thanks!

Can you take a pic for us and post it up here? That will better help us have an idea of what it could be (or not be)

sorry wish is could. NO smartphone OR camera. bummer. Im racking off now for safe measure and I guess let it age a little longer in the keg. Interested to see what happens.

Blueish definitely sounds weird... How does it smell and taste? It can't hurt you. I would say if it tastes good, get it into the keg and drink it fast. Since you have 5 more gallons you should probably do that anyway. If it's bad, toss it and wait for the other half to finish up.

Does it smell? Have to tasted it? If yes, what did it taste like? I wish there could have been a pic but can only imagine..

sorry for the late response. Kegged it two days ago and left it alone for everything to settle. The smell wasnt too bad off. actually when i transported it to higher ground i sloshed the carboy a little and most of the blue mold stuck to the carboy wall. Good malty flavor and light hop aroma, (only 12 ibu). I've had prettier lookin beer taste alot worse. The other five gallons still looks great. took a gravity reading today and it still needs to ferment out a little. At 1.025. I think this was because of a slightly higher crystal malt ratio in the bill. All in all, had a glass and im still standin (or wobblin).

Thanks for the curiousity and concern.

I think it was just think krousen. Have you brewed much before? Especially, have you brewed this recipe before?

Back