Overflow on unsealed fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BraxtonBrewery

Reaction score
On Sunday we brewed at 10 gallon all-grain batch of a pale ale. Our fermentation bucket is not airtight - it does not seal. I did go ahead and but an airlock on it anyway just in case. Ive been checking it off and on and it has been an active fermentation.

However I went outside this morning and looked to see how it was going and we had an overflow. A pretty decent sized one. Now most of it looks as if it was the yeast type build up/ sediment. However some beer couldve gotten out as well.

What do I have to worry about? Ive never had this happen before - usually we just do 5 gallon batches. Its our first shot at a 10 gallon batch.

Should do we anything to help this batch? Precautions for the next?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

I don't think there is a different type of lid - I got this at my lhbs and it reminds me of a garbage can.

I just want to make sure my current fermenting batch is not screwed.

With krausen & co2 flowing,probably not.The brewer's best ale pale I bought for my wife has a lid with no sealing ring on it too. But it snaps on really tight. I wondered about those "garbage can" size fermenters. Didn't look like it'd seal real well to me,but I've never tried one.

With that kind of fermenter I'd think about racking it to a secondary after initial ferment has finished (take gravity readings). You could get a sheet of plastic (lexan?), drill a hole for grommet/airlock and weigh it down on top of the fermenter for the future. I'm not a big fan of unsealed fermenters in a home brew environment. I've seen many crawling bugs climbing around licking up that spilled wort.

btw I've seen those fermenters used a lot, but it has always been with wine.

Clean the spill to avoid mold and other nasties and stop worrying about it. Unless you're fermenting in a barn or an unfinished basement, the chances of something getting to it are slim to none and not worth the stress.

And next time use a bigger bucket obviously.

Yeah I believe they are. And I have found used/reconditioned ones online for $15. So it may be worth getting a couple.

Back