Left hand milk stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ti28

Reaction score
Hey guys, I had a Left hand last weekend and loved it. Now that my primay is empty I'd like to brew up a clone of Left hands milk stout. Searched around the forum and found nothing but All grain recipes. Tried to covert it over in Beersmith and I don't think it looks right.

Here is the OP.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/left-hand-milk-stout-clone-139820/

And here is what Beersmith gave me.

Brew Type: Extract
Style: Sweet Stout
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Volume: 4.08 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU

7.11 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 58.20 %
0.58 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 4.72 %
1.18 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 9.67 %
0.94 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
0.70 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.76 %
0.70 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.76 %
0.35 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
1.00 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.19 %
1 Pkgs SafAle American (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.065 SG (1.044-1.060 SG)
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.016 SG (1.012-1.024 SG)
Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Color: 41.5 SRM (30.0-40.0 SRM)
Bitterness: 17.0 IBU (20.0-40.0 IBU)
Alpha Acid Units: 4.9 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 6.50 % (4.00-6.00 %)
Actual Alcohol by Volume: 0.65 %
Actual Calories: 43 cal/pint

Carbonation and Storage
Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar
Carbonation Volumes: 2.4 (2.0-2.4 vols)
Estimated Priming Weight: 3.8 oz
Temperature at Bottling: 60.0 F
Primer Used: -
Age for: 4.0 Weeks
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Does this seem right, or not? Can anyone come up with something better? Or should I just say screw it and buy the Midwest cream stout kit? The only problem with the midwest kit is, I'm not to sure it it will turn out sweet enough.

Midwest cream stout
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/cream-stout.html

Thought, ideas, advice?

Doesn't sound bad except for the odd amounts of liquid extract. Most LME recipes seem to call for approx 3 lb increments since that is how most LME is packaged, I would maybe convert to DME for some of the odd amounts so there isn't waste.

I have to Question the Yeast selection, you choose Chico SA-05, Which is very clean Without much in terms of esters and phonilics. The Midwest kit says wyeast London ale, which is going to add a lot of flavor and not attenuate as much, SA-04, or Windsor is closer in dry. I myself would choose an Irish style which is even more flavorful, which would be like the older guiness milk stout.

PS: the left hand probably uses Chico, but I think anything else would improve this style of beer quite a bit.

I have to second changing it to DME. It's easier to work with, and you can nail down the correct amount easier.

Please let us know how it turns out for you! I love this friggin beer also, and hope it turns out well.

Wyeast 1056 white labs 001 and Sa-05 are all the same strain called the "Chico" about 75% of the US ALE market is this Strain of yeast. It's main feature is that it doesn't have alot of ale taste to it. We call that lack of esters and phenolics "clean", just like Lager yeasts are considered very clean.

Awesome, thanks for the tip/lesson on the yeast.

So everyone think the recipe is a go?

The grains themselves, would those be steeped just like a specialty grain for 10-30min; right?

And since there is a odd amount of extract, I'll use DME. Good idea guys.

Just curious if you ever got to try this recipe. I just got started and would like to try an extract/partial stout for one of my next batches.

I just tried Left hand milk stout for the first time last week too. A damn fine beer.

They use flaked oats and flaked barley in their recipe. I really feel this is key to that silky mouthfeel it has

Just FYI: Austin has a Left Hand Milk Stout clone. My wife and I brewed it yesterday, it was the first batch we've done. Obviously I can't really compare it to the official version, yet, but once it ferments and we keg it, I'll let you know how it compares!

i know this is an old thread guys, but how did your clone turn out? i'm thinking of brewing this on sunday

Back