How does this Dunkelweizen look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
I am making another Dunkelweizen and I want to try out the WLP380 (used 300 last time). I want a touch more sweetness than last time, but is there too much caramel here? Also, is Pale Chocolate going to give any inappropriate flavor contributions? Thanks for looking! :mug:

Type: All Grain

Batch Size: 5.50 gal

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 46.6 %
3.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 23.3 %
2.00 lb Wheat Malt, Dark (9.0 SRM) Grain 15.5 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.9 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.9 %
0.50 lb Pale Chocolate (200.0 SRM) Grain 3.9 %
0.25 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.9 %
0.13 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.0 %
0.85 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (5 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
0.15 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (5 min) Hops 0.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen IV Ale (White Labs #WLP380) Yeast-Wheat

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Bitterness: 16.3 IBU
Est Color: 19.5 SRM

My own personal druthers on this is that a dunkelweizen, just like a dunkel, ought to get a lot of it's color from Munich malt and usually not much crystal. If it were me, I'd drop the crystal and Special B (extra dark crystal) & sub half of the pale malt for Munich. Tweak the color with a bit more pale chocolate or carafa if you feel the need.

I really think the Munich will add that rich malty-ness which might be what you think you're missing.

My own personal druthers on this is that a dunkelweizen, just like a dunkel, ought to get a lot of it's color from Munich malt and usually not much crystal. If it were me, I'd drop the crystal and Special B (extra dark crystal) & sub half of the pale malt for Munich. Tweak the color with a bit more pale chocolate or carafa if you feel the need.

I really think the Munich will add that rich malty-ness which might be what you think you're missing.

You know, this is a good point. thanks. I'll work some Munich in there, though I may only be able to get get a couple of lbs worth. I'm not supposed to be buying beer ingredients right now, so I'm working with what I have on hand.

Well,
I think you definitely need about 2lbs of Munich in there.
I definitely wouldn't use Roasted Barley or Special B
Cut the Chocolate down to .25lbs

And your IBUs are kind of high. I generally have about .75 Hallertaur when I do a weissen. You want to be closer to 10 IBUs.

OK, how about this grain bill. I'm trying to use what I have on hand for this, and this looks more complicated than it is. It's basically 5 lbs of wheat malt and 5.25 lbs of base grains (vienna/munich/2-row) and then the crystal and chocolate, in small amounts. Does it look better than the recipe in the OP? thanks for looking

oh, and I was curious.....and would some flaked rye compliment or take over this beer?

the Dark Hefe

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Wheat Malt, Dark (9.0 SRM) Grain 27.6 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 18.4 %
2.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 18.4 %
1.75 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 16.1 %
1.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 13.8 %
0.35 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.2 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.3 %
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 11.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen IV Ale (White Labs #WLP380) Yeast-Wheat

Back