Mango Habanero Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LandoAllen

Reaction score
I just bottled my mango habanero hard cider. It was a trial 1 gal batch that had a nice upfront (split second) mango-apple sweetness followed by a burn that leaves you choking. About 7.5%ABV and I left it dry and flat. I dry hopped with 2 whole fresh habaneros for about a month and it takes your breath away. It's not even drinkable... Or at least I have yet to find someone who will. I think I may be turning this into a chicken marinade/glazing sauce. Thought or recipes for the marinade idea?

I made a 1gal Habenero Mead with half of a habenero de-seeded and it was HOT, cant imagine what your tastes like.

On other news i just went to a local beerfest the other day and a homebrew club was pouring "Peaches and Scream"
One of best chili beers ive ever had, DENSE lucious sweet notes of mango, peaches and pineapple into a hot spicy burn, intensely amazing if you like spicy food.

Try making a fruit beer or simple pale and blend the chili cider in to taste. Not a big fan of hot sauce/peppers in my marinades really intesifies and overwhelmes the meat.

Chop up some basil, add some sugar ( depends on taste) and mix 2 parts cider to one part olive oil. Sounds like a nice marinade, really. If you mix some with flour it might make a nice glaze for wings

Chop up some basil, add some sugar ( depends on taste) and mix 2 parts cider to one part olive oil. Sounds like a nice marinade, really. If you mix some with flour it might make a nice glaze for wings

Just make sure the yeast is dead before you add sugar!

I already bottled it dry. It did have a bit of CO2 in it though during bottling (enough to blanket the headspace in the bottles when I was filling them). I'm thinking about adding some honey to help thicken it a bit. I really like the idea of marinating the chicken for a day in cider only. Then when I go to grill it up ill spread some kind of sweet/spicy cider glaze. I think a touch of basil would add some good flavor. I have fresh basil in my garden right now it its just getting to the right height to pick some.

If you didn't add sulfites, then i wouldn't add the honey until you add them since the addition of honey will probably carbonate/re-ferment the cider. A carbonated hard cider marinade would be interesting.. lol

I grilled up some chicken drumsticks tonight. I marinated them in cider only with no additions at all. Then I threw them on the grill and mixed up a glaze sauce with 75:25 mango habanero cider/Franks Sweet Chili Sauce. Turned out fabulous! I will be making this again for sure. It had a nice sweetness and a little spicy heat to it but not overwhelming.

image-1980767722.jpg

the chicken sounds and looks tasty, I am very tempted to try adding part of a hab from my garden later this year into a batch of cider.

Just be careful how much you add... A little goes a long way. If you are going to drink it I would say try going with 1/2 a hab without seeds per gallon and see what that does for ya and go from there. You can always go more spicy but its impossible to make it less spicy without diluting and ruining the original taste. I did 2 habaneros with seeds in my 1 gal and it was way too much for drinking but it was perfect in a marinade.

At little off topic, since I'm using serrano peppers, but I'm about to keg 6 gallons of cider with two deveined and deseeded serranos. The peppers have been frozen and then soaked in vodka for 24 hours and will be placed directly in the keg.

We'll see what I end up with once the cider is carbonated...

dog_gone said:
At little off topic, since I'm using serrano peppers, but I'm about to keg 6 gallons of cider with two deveined and deseeded serranos. The peppers have been frozen and then soaked in vodka for 24 hours and will be placed directly in the keg.

We'll see what I end up with once the cider is carbonated...

How did this turn out?

How did this turn out?

Sorry... don't want to thread-jack...

But, great! Good heat; enough to taste/sense, but not too much for the average person to spew fire. Since I backsweetened with AJC, the heat was a great counter-balance.

Be that as it may... I don't think I will use serranos in the future for my ciders (Beer? Yes!). My serranos had too much of a green/vegetable flavor (not sure exactly how to describe it). I need something a little more fruity but with the same degree of heat. Habaneros are next up!

Back