Beer head question !!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yaaybeer

Reaction score
Hi all was drinking my brew last night and the first beer I poured was into a glass from the freezer and I got great head and head retention. My second was in the already used hence room temp glass, head ok but not near as good as first frozen glass pour. So on 3 rd beer froze the glass again and low and behold good head. Anyway my question is does a frozen or chilled glass make for better head ?

My beers give great head easilly in a room temp glass. Carbonation drives the head which comes from dissolved protiens & such.

I've seen that happen too (more of a dense head when poured into a frozen glass). However, frozen glassware is usually reserved for crappier beer where you want it to stay ice cold so that you can't taste how bad it is. Do yourself a favor and use room temp glassware so that you can actually taste the beer rather than just experience the cold sensation.

Yup! Frozen glasses can do that but as pointed out it also zaps the flavor and aroma of the beer so don't freeze your glassware just make sure they are very clean!

Dirty glassware can kill the head almost instantly!

Good to know people thanks very much for that. The frozen glass looks kinda cool though, flavour zapping or not

If you still have the thin/no head problem in the future,& your process/ingredients are good,then add a little carapils from a steep. That'll def help. I add .5lb of carapils to my partial mash beers. Wait'll you guys see the head next Friday! I do have a pic of one PM I did from a midwest kit in my gallery. Cascade pale ale. This next one is my recipe & should be a tad better.

It wasn't that the room temp had bad head it just wasn't as impressive as the chilled glass beer head. Thanks for all your info. Once again what a great forum full off very kind people sharing their knowledge. Much appreciated.

No problem. That's why we're all here. It's gratifying to help someone else as we were helped previously. A lot of give & take around here. Great site for it.

Back