Fermentation Chamber.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albadia

Reaction score
So after my second batch of homebrew, SWMBO demanded I find a better place for my carboys. Was it the beersplosion all over the closet? Could have been. I don't really know :eek:

But.. OPPORTUNITY! I happened to have an old mini fridge sitting unused in the garage so with some googling and the help of my much-more-carpenter-friendly Father In Law. I'll have a few more "in progress" pictures shortly. Technology is being unfriendly this week.

Built my little work bench at the same time, so planned it out with that in mind. Most of the front facing boards on the left half of the bench pull off with 1-2 screws and aren't structural. So the chamber slides right underneath, and then the "trim" covers up that it's not just all one piece.

Essentially a 2x4 Frame built snugly around the fridge. Covered inside and out with 1/2" foam insulation, all joints taped to seal it. Then the outside was covered with 1/2" plywood.

Just happy with how it turned out!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Yup. You can't see it and these pics but the left side is the bag of the fridge where it can breathe. Purposely cut that a little longer just to give it the appearance of a finished edge. Almost forgot to though when I started!

I haven't give. It a serious run for its money yet, and I still have to put a little fan in to keep the air moving but I turned it on for about 2 hours the other night with a little thermometer in there, hanging In the center and it said it was down to 38. So shouldn't be a problem at all even if I want to lager. Kinda excited for that.

Very nice, very clean looking! Fermentation chamber is a whole lot of win, for sure. Just make sure your fridge regulates temperatures nicely, and if not (mine didn't) get an STC-1000 temp controller to plug it into.

Yah fridge doesn't regulate temp for crap, gonna pick up another controller at my LHBS tomorrow along with a few other odds and ends for my next batch.

Back