Raspberry Wheat AG - Watered down taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadkarol

Reaction score
So I recently brewed a raspberry wheat AG that I got from northernbrewer. It was actually the honey weizen recipe, and I decided to try something different and added frozen raspberries (first time making a fruit beer). I thawed and added two bags (I believe 8 oz each) of frozen raspberries about 3 days after I brewed in the primary. When I transferred into the secondary I added one more bag. Well, I'm thinking I should have either drained them or simply added less, because I kegged the beer a few days ago and it tastes like raspberry water more than it does a beer. I'll deal with it and just drink it, but maybe someone out there has an idea to do to it so it's not so bad to drink? I'm not too upset that I have a bad batch because it's my first bad batch, and I know it happens to everyone at some point in time, but I just can't get myself to throw it out.

It sounds like a beer my wife would like. You could give it away. Pm me for a shipping address. Seriously though, perhaps mix it with something that's got some body. Maybe an all malt brown ale? Or a dark wheat beer? It sounds like you may have just gone a little over on the raspberries. The added water compared to a 5 gallon batch should be negligible. Time may also help the flavors merge and taste less watered down.

I went of the crazy train right after I started brewing AG. I used a Mr beer hefe kit with raspberries and some other stuff and it was pretty watered down tasting. Needless to say, it's been about 6 weeks and it is just starting to taste like beer.

So I suppose just keep waiting.

Honestly 1# of raspberries isn't even enough for a fruit beer. You would normally use 1/2-1# per gallon. It sounds like the beer just isn't ready yet. I've had multiple beers that tasted watered down when they were still green. I say give it some more time.

I'd say give it time too and see how it turns out. Also, it could be that the sugars in the fruit helped to bring down the final gravity thus taking away some of the mouthfeel. I'm not sure if a little bit of Lactose would help or not in adding more body and some sweetness to it, but I would save that as a last resort after it's been 3 or 4 months and no improvement.

I'll give it some more time. I'd rather do that than drink some 'eh' tasting beer. I have it at around 40 degrees in the keg now. You think better to keep it there or at room temperature? Keep hooked up to the co2 tank or disconnect?

It will condition faster at warmer temps. But either way is fine really.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll give it a little white and try a little every week or so to see if it gets any better. This is actually a good thing. I haven't been brewing for too long, and just started all grain brewing a couple months ago, and have never had a bad batch yet. I don't know what green beer tastes like, so maybe this is it. :)

Back