Cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcevoy

Reaction score
I just made a batch of cider, and it'll carb up in the next few days/week. Then I plan to put then into the fridge for a cold crash.
After I do that, is it okay to put it back into my cold cellar?(about 68F)

I don't have the space to keep it in my fridge for a long time, and I don't want any bottle bombs.

I used champagne yeast, and added two cans of concentrate to a 5G batch for carbing.

SG 1.06
FG 1.001 (before bottling)

I've carbed it up with two cans of aj concentrate
( for 5G batch).
Am I in danger of bottle bombs? Or should I be alright; and just leave them in my cold cellar until consuming?

Dude have you checked out my "bottle bomb tester" thread? I back sweetend my cider with 2 cans of AJ concentrate and after 1 day in bottles at a temp of 75f they were good and ready to be placed in my fridge. They carb up nice quick. Well I left 1 bottle out and it's been sitting in the sun for a while now and the lid is showing signs of swelling but it has yet to blow. Just to be safe though I would put your bottles in a safe place or place them in a fridge or pasteurize with 140* water is it? I guess that kills the yeast, sounds like to much work for me though;)

image-4186773999.jpg

This is how mine turned out, sweet and bubbly.

I used plastic PET bottles. Can I stovetop pasteurize those?

If not, can I cold crash ( in fridge) and put back into my cold cellar? Or will I have to keep refrigerating?

If you have plastic PET bottles, you dont need to worry too much about bottle bombs. So you arent really limited that way, but you dont want them to bubble over when you open them. I would keep them in a refrigerator, otherwise the yeast will probably take away all the residual sweetness and leave you with bottles that gush over like champagne when you open them.

Could I stovetop pasteurize (140F) in PET bottles to kill the yeast? I'm just looking to kill the yeast so I don't end up with gushers.

I wouldn't. Some people worry that when the plastic is heated, it releases chemicals and toxins.

Not to mention, when you get it hot the bottle will be weaker and may fail.

If you got the room just throw it in the fridge, if not seriously get some bottles and a capper. My first beer was a mr. Beer with plastic bottles and I will NEVER do that again.

My Mr. Beer cider, and first cider batch ever, was actually pretty ok. A little yeasty, but good.

I just did a quick search on google on heating up PET bottles and came up with nothing conclusive. The FDA don't mention any heat thresholds, simply that the way that they transfer their fluids in PET bottles is safe and no chemicals "leak" into the fluids. If it were me, I wouldn't do it. Plastic in 190F water sitting on a metal pot just doesn't sound good

Back