Alternative Grain Beer Rye Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WY1068
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 at 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
Pleasingly hoppy and dry pale ale
this is one of my most popular grain bills. It really keeps the body light, no cloying sweetness at all and it lets the hops shine right through. This is a fantastic beer for spring summer, this is why I am posting it now. The fuggles and goldings midboil provide a pine/herbal/woody hop flavor that remains in the beer after months of aging. Well after the dry hops have faded out.

7.5# 2 Row
1# Munich
2.25# Rye
.5# Victory

1oz magnum 60
1 oz Fuggle 30
.50 Goldings 20
.50 goldings 10
1oz Cascade FO
1 oz cascade dry hop
1 oz columbus dry hop
Mash at 154
Wyeast 1068 (or whatever you like)

Thanks for posting. I like your grainbill, I will definitely try this. Have you ever had Sierra Nevada's ruthless rye?

I like the midboil fuggles and golding. I was leaning towards using chinook, but think it might be too much overpowering the rye. That's why I keep wanting to put some amber malt in to balance it.

Thanks for posting. I like your grainbill, I will definitely try this. Have you ever had Sierra Nevada's ruthless rye?

I like the midboil fuggles and golding. I was leaning towards using chinook, but think it might be too much overpowering the rye. That's why I keep wanting to put some amber malt in to balance it.

I do like the ruthless rye, but I am not a fan of the trend or almost obligation, for any rye beer to be amber. I find that even 20-30 percent rye does not yield an amber color to the beer.

I think ruthless is brava, citra and chinook but to me it is really dry and really bitter, even for a sierra nevada offering. The medium xtal and roasted malts they use make the effect even more dramatic. IMO, if you are going to go through the effort to appropriately grind and mash rye, I don't like to hide it behind a bunch of dark crystal and roasted malts.

I think I'm going to try this as my first all grain batch! So here's a rookie question: did you just mash all the grain together at 154? And for how long? Also, at what point does the dry hop addition happen? Is it in a secondary fermentor a week later? This beer sounds great, I hope I can make it work!

This recipe looks awesome. I'm adding it to my list of upcoming brews since I've been on the hunt for a nice rye.

I think I'm going to try this as my first all grain batch! So here's a rookie question: did you just mash all the grain together at 154? And for how long? Also, at what point does the dry hop addition happen? Is it in a secondary fermentor a week later? This beer sounds great, I hope I can make it work!

Yes all the grain is mashed together at 154 (your strike temp will be higher than this). I would assume the mash is 60m. You can dry hop in the secondary or primary as long as fermentation is finished. I believe OP dry hopped for 7 days.

Just plugged this into my beer smith. Do you have the %AA on your hops? With the default values i'm getting 75.7 IBU for a full boil

This recipe looks awesome. I'm adding it to my list of upcoming brews since I've been on the hunt for a nice rye.

Yes all the grain is mashed together at 154 (your strike temp will be higher than this). I would assume the mash is 60m. You can dry hop in the secondary or primary as long as fermentation is finished. I believe OP dry hopped for 7 days.

Just plugged this into my beer smith. Do you have the %AA on your hops? With the default values i'm getting 75.7 IBU for a full boil

Thats a mighty high IBU, sounds like maybe you have the dry hops calculated in the boil somehow. I can get the AA% when i get in from work tonight for you, no problem.

I'm assuming this is for a 5 gallon yield?

I've been looking into the rye grain lately and trying to find ways to incorporate into my preferences of brewing, I like hoppy beers, and this pale ale bill seems really good. Does the rye give off a heavy amber color in this particular recipe?

I'm assuming this is for a 5 gallon yield?

I've been looking into the rye grain lately and trying to find ways to incorporate into my preferences of brewing, I like hoppy beers, and this pale ale bill seems really good. Does the rye give off a heavy amber color in this particular recipe?

Not an amber color it all. This is a very pale, crisp, clean and dry ale.

permo said:
Not an amber color it all. This is a very pale, crisp, clean and dry ale.

Awesome, that's exactly what I'm looking for, gonna brew this up tomorrow. I have been reading that the rye can get "sticky", I've been told to add about 2% rice hulls to your grain bill to prevent any "sticking". Anyone notice that at all?

Awesome, that's exactly what I'm looking for, gonna brew this up tomorrow. I have been reading that the rye can get "sticky", I've been told to add about 2% rice hulls to your grain bill to prevent any "sticking". Anyone notice that at all?

I have never used rice hulls in my life. I wouldn't worry about it. I grind very fine too.

This is an excellent, "pour a cold mug and quench your thirst" type of ale.

Now that I think about it....a pound of flaked oats would be good in this one.

permo said:
This is an excellent, "pour a cold mug and quench your thirst" type of ale.

Hearing that just made my mouth water...
I'm getting my stuff together and brewing this tonight!

I ran across this after looking for a good rye beer. Here's the thing, I'm new to brewing in general and All-Grain in specific (only brewed 2 batches so far). I've never dry hopped and don't really understand what it does to the beer as far as flavour/bitterness...so, if I brewed this but omitted the dry-hop (so, just did the boiled hops), how do you think it would end up tasting?

Hauger said:
I ran across this after looking for a good rye beer. Here's the thing, I'm new to brewing in general and All-Grain in specific (only brewed 2 batches so far). I've never dry hopped and don't really understand what it does to the beer as far as flavour/bitterness...so, if I brewed this but omitted the dry-hop (so, just did the boiled hops), how do you think it would end up tasting?

Dry hopping only adds aroma, no flavor or bitterness. However extended dryhopping can add a grassy flavor that most people don't like.

Question about the Hops schedule...I put the recipe into Brewtarget and it listed the recipe as "Way Hoppy" with IBU over 100, all based on the Magnum Hops in a 5 Gal batch. That's a little higher than the recipe-listed IBU of 35. So.....what am I inputing wrong. I really want to avoid having the hops overpower the Rye taste. Adjusting the Magnum to 1/4 oz resulted in it saying it was "Balanced" with an IBU of 46.

Just to mention too, I couldn't get the Victory grains at my LHBS, so I just added an extra 1/2 lb of 2-row.

Thoughts?

I'm going to try out your grain bill tomorrow for a brew I've been planning. I finally got some Nelson sauvin to try for the first time and wanted to make a rye pale or IPA. I agree with your thought about not hiding the rye behind too much roasted or caramel malts. I love Alpine's nelson IPA which is a beautiful light golden (and which I only get to drink when I can bribe my brother to drive some up from down south).

BTW, was that wyeast 1098 or 1968 you were using? Don't see a 1068 listed on the site. I'm going with US-05 but just curious.

I'm going to try out your grain bill tomorrow for a brew I've been planning. I finally got some Nelson sauvin to try for the first time and wanted to make a rye pale or IPA. I agree with your thought about not hiding the rye behind too much roasted or caramel malts. I love Alpine's nelson IPA which is a beautiful light golden (and which I only get to drink when I can bribe my brother to drive some up from down south).

BTW, was that wyeast 1098 or 1968 you were using? Don't see a 1068 listed on the site. I'm going with US-05 but just curious.

sorry, it was 1968. ESB yeast.

I'm mashing this recipe as I type. I can't wait to see how this turns out. I'm stoked to make my first rye beer.

I am glad to see so much interest in this recipe. I am on roughly my 100th batch of all grain beer, and the trend I see over time, is that my recipes are much, much simpler now than in the beggining. Simple recipes, executed properly make fantastic beer.

I like the looks of this. I've done two pale ale's so far and this will be my 3rd all grain batch. I like your comment about using simple recipes to get great beer. Brewing is like tying flies. The simpler patterns always catch the most fish!

Back