Chocolate roasted barley gluten free?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g1r2u3m4p5y6

Reaction score
I've been making beer from a kit using sorghum malt so gluten free. Been doing this about a year & tired of boring beer. Had a chat to Bob at brew shop who reckons barley roasted to 'chocolate' is gluten free as roasting destroys gluten. We ground 250g & I steeped this in boiling water for 15 minutes before making usual brew. Brew is down & fermenting happily. Looks great. Smells great. I'm worried Bob is wrong & the brew will contain gluten & make me sick. Can anybody out there confirm this will be gluten free please?

It is not gluten free. You probably won't get much gluten out of it but if you're very sensitive I'd stay away.
Working in restaurants for 12 years I've seen extreme cases where people have been affected by eating foods fried in the same fryer as food containing gluten. This is EXTREMLY rare, though.

I'm not too sensitive but want to maintain a healthy gut. I guess wait till ready & try. 250g may be too much in a 25 litre brew anyway? Time will tell. Thanx for the prompt response.

You should have added some clarityferm, it's supposed to break down gluten, and IIRC is used in some European brews being sold as "gluten-free". Maybe it's not too late and can be added to the fermenter? IDK, I've never used the stuff, but it seems like a worthwhile precaution to take if possible.

RE: boring beers...dude, really? You're already so out of ideas that you're resorting to barley? Between the various shades of candi syrup, various types of sugar, home-toasted grains like oats, buckwheat, and quinoa, honey, sweet potatoes, bananas, fruit adjuncts, beets, carrots, herbs & spices, and the plethora of hop and yeast varieties out there, I can't see myself running out of natively-GF beer ideas any time in the next century or two. Think outside the homebrew shop! We're blazing brave new frontiers of brewing here in the gluten-free forum, there's no excuse for BOREDOM!!!:rockin:

It will definately contain some gluten containing proteins according to some research. Some components are supposed to be denutralized during the heating process but I believe many tests have proved that to be wrong. (Plus, if such a thing were really true, none of us would have issues eating bread, would we).

If you, or whoever you're brewing for, does not have a gluten intolerance, or have celiacs, then it doesn't matter, and can drink it or a normal barley beer.

Also, it's not extremely rare for people who have a gluten intolerance or celiacs to have a reaction due to a shared fryer. Its actually quite common, though tends to take some backtracing for people to find out what caused their reaction. (The bulk of the problem comes from the actual pieces of glutenous materials sticking to the fried object. Theoretically, you could filter the oil after each and every glutenous batch to remove these and see what the remaining proteins that couldn't be removed do, but I just think that's a bad idea and lacks customer care.)

Thanx Igliashon. I've never heard of "clarityferm". Not sure if can source in Australia. Where would you recommend I buy this stuff from please?

OK - sounds like I goofed. No worries - will keep for my mates. Will check out your recipes & see what I can learn. Thanx.

Hi KevinM

Struggling to find my way around site. Could I possibly have your recipe for GF English Ale please. Thanx.

I'll have to dig it up when I have a moment (tax season and all). It was a pretty simple ale that someone else recommended me to do (sorghum syrup, hops, yeast). What I'm really aiming for is a porter or stout though. I'm working on something and will be posting what I do once I begin.

Back