Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twgardner2

Reaction score
So I just bottled my 3rd batch of cider. It spent 1 month in primary and another 4 in secondary. I backsweetened with the original cider and plan on pasteurizing when my plastic bottle indicates my bottles are ready. My cider was very, very clear at bottling, so my question is, will I have enough yeast left in solution 5 months after pitching to carbonate. It has been 2 days since bottling and my 'telltale' plastic bottle doesn't appear to have gotten any harder. Not too worried yet, just wondering if anyone else has waited too long to bottle and has had problems carbonating.

Thanks!

So I just bottled my 3rd batch of cider. It spent 1 month in primary and another 4 in secondary. I backsweetened with the original cider and plan on pasteurizing when my plastic bottle indicates my bottles are ready. My cider was very, very clear at bottling, so my question is, will I have enough yeast left in solution 5 months after pitching to carbonate. It has been 2 days since bottling and my 'telltale' plastic bottle doesn't appear to have gotten any harder. Not too worried yet, just wondering if anyone else has waited too long to bottle and has had problems carbonating.

Thanks!
I bottled a batch of Apfelwein after about 3 rackings and several months of sitting. I backsweetened, and had no activity in my plastic bottle right away. About 5 - 6 weeks later, that bottle has firmed up nicely.

Back