What hops should I plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I already have 3 3-year cascades (They grow up so fast!)

Now I want to plant 1 or 2 more types. But i"m unsure what to plant. I should probably go with a HIGH ALPHA variety for a bittering hop, but what else?

I like Saaz, but I hear they are very hard to get to produce well. What's a good piney, resiney hop?? I kind of like them in my IPAs. Or maybe a classic English, or European Lager style hop...

Any idea what grows good here??

I say centennial 9-10 alpha. id not say piney as much as citrusy though. Its what i have(28 out of 39 plants have sprouted). My lhbs made an all centennial ipa and i though it came out fantastic. and my haus pils is all centennial and the resident german says it reminds her of beer from home. lol i know tmi but i vote centennial.

Do you want some hallertauer rhizomes? I'm going to dig a few this week for lschiavo, so if you want a couple I can send you some.

HELL YES!

How do they turn out?

I'm thinking about getting some Cinnok, to get that pine aroma. The Hallertau would give me the noble character for lagers.

And if anyone wants some Cascade, I can dig around some of mine. It's just thawed this weekend...

HELL YES!

How do they turn out?

I'm thinking about getting some Cinnok, to get that pine aroma. The Hallertau would give me the noble character for lagers.

And if anyone wants some Cascade, I can dig around some of mine. It's just thawed this weekend...

I just moved into a new house this past Oct. I am going to plant some hops this year. I miss them.... left my others with my old house 4 years ago.

Anyway, was just looking at ordering some Cascades, Centennial, and Hallertauer. I have no problem sending you some $ for some instead. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks!

Geoff

HELL YES!

How do they turn out?

My chinook are only second year, but they grew amazingly well last year. I got about 4 ounces (dried) off of them, and have been using them for dryhopping. I think that would be a good choice for your area.

Hallertau hops are "medium" or "low" yield, so they don't produce as much as cascades, but they are growing wild here in this climate so you actually get more cones off of them. I didn't even harvest them last year! PM me your address and I'll get some in the mail to you this week.

I just moved into a new house this past Oct. I am going to plant some hops this year. I miss them.... left my others with my old house 4 years ago.

Anyway, was just looking at ordering some Cascades, Centennial, and Hallertauer. I have no problem sending you some $ for some instead. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks!

Geoff

I'll try and dig some up for you. of course there is no charge. I'll see what I can get and send them out. I've never done this before, so we'll see what happens.

Homercidal, I would also be interested in a couple cascade rhizomes if you have any extra. I would also be willing to buy them.

Homercidal, I would also be interested in a couple cascade rhizomes if you have any extra. I would also be willing to buy them.

I'll have to see what happens when I try digging them up. They are going on 4 years now and I have no idea how to dig them up safely, or how much I could get. I'll let you know.

At any rate, if I can send some, and you really feel the urge to pay me, just donate a few dollars into my HBT account. I'm not growing hops for resale, just want to help out some homebrewers if I can.

I'll read up on how to do this the right way and maybe in a day or two I'll have some idea. (Busy night tonight, with taking kids to dance and then a band boosters meeting (with maybe a trip to the local watering hole to tip back a Bell's Oberon with the band director if he's up for it)).

A few hours south of you Zues(high alpha) and Sterling(Saaz sub.) are two of my top three producing varieties(out of nine). The Zues produces massive aromatic cones and are considered the same as Columbus and Tomahawk. If I can get over to where I'm growing I may be able to take a couple cuttings. My Hallertau has been a very poor producer down here.

I trimmed my hops and was saddened to find there was really no off shoots! :(

Just kidding. I had tons of them. Most of them were skinny, but for the most part they were healthy looking with several white shoots on each piece. Getting them out and cut off was much easier than I expected too. If I can get addresses, I'll wrap them carefully in damp paper towel and send them out to you.

Tonight, if I don't haul a freezer from one friend's house to another friend's house, I'll start making the beds for my new hops.

A few hours south of you Zues(high alpha) and Sterling(Saaz sub.) are two of my top three producing varieties(out of nine). The Zues produces massive aromatic cones and are considered the same as Columbus and Tomahawk. If I can get over to where I'm growing I may be able to take a couple cuttings. My Hallertau has been a very poor producer down here.

I'd be very interested in additional hops, but honestly, I don't know that I have room for that many!

Maybe if I can get my spot cleared out, I'll find a way to plant 2 more hills.

What is the matter with that Hallertau? Can you water it every day? I have my cascades next to the house and have a drip hose set up on a timer, so I only have to twist the control to like 45 minutes each, or every other, night.

My new beds will be across the yard and I will have to stretch a hose out there. I am thinking about putting an eaves trough on the garage and collecting rain water in a couple of barrels, then burying a garden hose between there and the new hops beds. The height difference ought to be enough to water them well.

So many plans, so little time! I'll have so much time put into doing all of this that I won't have time to actually brew!

I'd be very interested in additional hops, but honestly, I don't know that I have room for that many!

Maybe if I can get my spot cleared out, I'll find a way to plant 2 more hills.

What is the matter with that Hallertau? Can you water it every day? I have my cascades next to the house and have a drip hose set up on a timer, so I only have to twist the control to like 45 minutes each, or every other, night.

My new beds will be across the yard and I will have to stretch a hose out there. I am thinking about putting an eaves trough on the garage and collecting rain water in a couple of barrels, then burying a garden hose between there and the new hops beds. The height difference ought to be enough to water them well.

So many plans, so little time! I'll have so much time put into doing all of this that I won't have time to actually brew!

I planted Chinook for high alpha. Supposed to be big producers that grow anywhere. In Oklahoma I have the opposite climate as you. Chinook and Cascade may be the only varieties to survive the oppressive heat down here. I understand they grow well up there as well. I think you have more options.

I'd try Magnum. It's a great bittering hop and has a neutral flavor so it let's the flavor and aroma hops shine through.

pgenius said:
I'd try Magnum. It's a great bittering hop and has a neutral flavor so it let's the flavor and aroma hops shine through.

Has anyone had any luck getting magnum hops to grow? I've tried twice and neither time did they grow. :(

Back