Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I made 2 - 6 gallon batches of applewein. Same amount of sugar.

The first one made a week before the second one.

The first one I added one cinnamon stick too. That one is taking longer to clear.
The one done a week later is clearing faster than the first.

Could the cinnamon really lag it that bad? Ive had the first one going for 6 weeks now.:drunk:

Just an update for anyone who might care, its been a little over 12 hours and I'm getting a bubble every 2-3 seconds so it seems to be working. I also see a small layer of what I believe to be kreusen(sp?) forming.

britishbloke said:
The first one I added one cinnamon stick too. That one is taking longer to clear.

Could the cinnamon really lag it that bad? Ive :drunk:

You think you've got cloud. I used cinnamon powder. Great smell though and the top of the kruesen looks like apple crumb cake. I'm not concerned. I plan to cold condition in a keg for about 10 days after the 3-4 weeks. Hopefully, that will help settle out the "stuff". Either way, I think it is worth it to have that slight hint of cinnamon underneath the apple flavor.

KalvinEddie said:
Either way, I think it is worth it to have that slight hint of cinnamon underneath the apple flavor.

I thought about this earlier too. Last fall I was thinking about using Penzey's mulling spices.

Cloves, cracked China and Korintje cassia cinnamon, allspice, cardamom and mace.​
I make this at thanksgiving & X-mas with apple juice and cranberry and its awesome. (Non-Alcoholic)

I think it would be awesome start as hard spiced cider. (w/o the butter!!) In fact you can mull apfelwine you already made.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysmulledwine.html

If anyone is interested on the recipe you call pull it from this catalog. (page 21 in the pdf)

Be advised its 21megs.

http://www.penzeys.com/images/A07.pdf

Check out this incredible Kruesen.
CiderKruesen_12Hrs.jpg
This looks like some sort of early sci fi special effect landscape...or a slice of great apple crumb cake.

I modified the recipe to try for a lower ABV%...that's why you see a 1054 OG. Also added some chopped apples and skins along with cinnamon and dark brown sugar.

Man I can't wait...:ban:

Man, Kalvin, your pic is making me want some apple crumb cake right now :)

So if I want to carbonate about half of the bottles, I can just sprinkle corn sugar into the bottles I want to carbonate, yes? I think I heard something about 1/2 teaspoon per bottles, does that sound about right?

KalvinEddie said:
View attachment 1004
This looks like some sort of early sci fi special effect landscape...or a slice of great apple crumb cake.

I modified the recipe to try for a lower ABV%...that's why you see a 1054 OG. Also added some chopped apples and skins along with cinnamon and dark brown sugar.

Man I can't wait...:ban:
Looks good. What yeast did you use?

BTW. Your avatar is awesome.:mug:

RichBrewer said:
Looks good. What yeast did you use?

BTW. Your avatar is awesome.:mug:

I used SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-56).

It happened to be lying around. I happened to be itching to "brew" something.

Avatar? - Thanks. Homemade. It's also the centerpiece on my American Red Pale Ale bottle.

I figured it was time to ante up for a membership. This forum has saved me a lot more than the nominal expense to belong. Plus I was tired of uploading pics to Google-Picasa everytime...

KalvinEddie said:

Kal - I would not be surprised if you have long ferment or a 2nd ferment. I think I read somewhere that you can get a malolactic ferment. I think thats because of the fruit w/ skins.

If anybody knows about this chime in...

The krausen looks awesome!! :mug:

dmiller038 said:
Man, Kalvin, your pic is making me want some apple crumb cake right now :)

So if I want to carbonate about half of the bottles, I can just sprinkle corn sugar into the bottles I want to carbonate, yes? I think I heard something about 1/2 teaspoon per bottles, does that sound about right?

If you have a scale that measures grams, it is about 3 grams of corn sugar per bottle if you figure 5 ounces of corn sugar for a 5 gallon batch. I don't know off hand how much a teaspoon weighs, but I would guess that a 1/2 tsp would not be enough.

seyahmit said:
If you have a scale that measures grams, it is about 3 grams of corn sugar per bottle if you figure 5 ounces of corn sugar for a 5 gallon batch. I don't know off hand how much a teaspoon weighs, but I would guess that a 1/2 tsp would not be enough.

Wouldn't it be easier to say 3/4 cup for 5 gallons and figure it from there? Yeah i know 5 oz of corn sugar isn't exactly 3/4 cup but this isn't rocket science either... you could also take 5 oz and divide it by 50 (bottles) and get .1 in each... of course weighing it would be much easier...

So I guess I had a blowoff. At least I think thats what it is. The foam from the top of the juice has gotten into the airlock and over the stopper. Here's some pictures:
IMG_1500.jpg
IMG_1499.jpg

Now what do I do?

Branket said:
So I guess I had a blowoff. At least I think thats what it is. The foam from the top of the juice has gotten into the airlock and over the stopper. Here's some pictures:
IMG_1500.jpg
IMG_1499.jpg

Now what do I do?

Either rig a blowoff tube or let it go till it calms down and clean the airlock...

Branket said:
IMG_1500.jpg
IMG_1499.jpg

Now what do I do?

Mine did the same! I let it go. It still has juice in the lock. I'm not going to worry about it at all. When its done it'll get cleaned. There's nothing to plug it right? Its not like you have a hop pellet that will get jammed inside.

Mine will get a thorough soaking in BTF Line Cleaner after I finish bottling and drinking a few. :D

There's a fine line in how much juice you can put in the carboy and not have that happen. My last did that as I put all but 2 oz. of 5 gallons of juice. I just swapped out the airlock with a freshly sanitized one a couple of times. It subsided after a day or so.

I am going to brew this up this weekend. I am new to brewing and have my first beer in the secondary right now, bottling it tommorow. I would like to make a 5 gallon batch. When it's ready to bottle, no keg yet, I would like to make half original and half sweet and carbonated. How is the best way to to do this? Also is it OK to use a 6.5 carboy for 5 gallons, I have brew going to the 5 gallon this weekend. If not what would be the recipe for 6.5 gallons. Thanks for the help.

Keith

psujeep said:
Also is it OK to use a 6.5 carboy for 5 gallons, I have brew going to the 5 gallon this weekend. If not what would be the recipe for 6.5 gallons. Thanks for the help.

Keith

Yes... it's actually better in the sense that you won't make as much (if any) as a mess. The extra room gives your brew room to "grow".:rockin:

psujeep said:
I am going to brew this up this weekend. I am new to brewing and have my first beer in the secondary right now, bottling it tommorow. I would like to make a 5 gallon batch. When it's ready to bottle, no keg yet, I would like to make half original and half sweet and carbonated. How is the best way to to do this? Also is it OK to use a 6.5 carboy for 5 gallons, I have brew going to the 5 gallon this weekend. If not what would be the recipe for 6.5 gallons. Thanks for the help.

Keith
I always use my 6.5 gallon carboys as primaries. I sleep better at night knowing I won't have blow off. Stick with the 5 gallon recipe.

When you're ready to bottle, move the batch into your bottling bucket and bottle half. Then take about a 3/4 cup of water, add 1/2 cup of lactose (available at your HBS) along with about 1/3 cup of corn sugar and bring to boil. You can do all of this part before you begin the bottling process. Let the mix cool and stir gently into your last half of brew and continue bottling. Don't get any extra air into your mix by over stirring.

The corn sugar will help carbonate and the lactose...because it is not fermentable, will add a touch of sweet. If I were you, I would add the lactose seperately...taste and adjust...and then add the corn sugar.

Branket said:
IMG_1500.jpg
IMG_1499.jpg

Now what do I do?

And that is why I love my 6 1/2 gallon carboys.

I would clean it out once it settles down. Lower the risk of contamination.

Thanks for the quick replies. Is the corn sugar and priming sugar that comes with beer kits the same? Can't wait to get taste this. I read the whole thread today at work, not very busy today.

psujeep said:
Thanks for the quick replies. Is the corn sugar and priming sugar that comes with beer kits the same? Can't wait to get taste this. I read the whole thread today at work, not very busy today.

Yes it is. The priming (corn) sugar won't give any sweetness though because the yeast will ferment it and convert it to CO2...thereby carbonating your brew.

That's why I would add the lactose and taste first...so as not to be fooled by the sweet taste of the corn sugar. Lactose does not ferment and will retain some sweetness.

Several folks here have asked about starting a new batch on the old yeast cake for the Apfelwein. Why, when the yeast is only 79 cents? is the usual question.

Mainly it's because folks don't want to have to mess with cleaning a carboy and sanitizing it.

Well, before I left town, I kegged a batch and poured another 5 gallons & 2 lbs. of corn sugar on the lees. There's not a lot of yeast left over when you use Montrachet.

Anyway, I just checked in and SWMBO reports that the airlock is vigorous and she can smell the fermentation. Whoo Hooo. I asked her to put some more vodka in the airlock which she did. I'll mark this batch to check for any differences in flavor & body.

In any event, it made for a pretty quick batch. It's good to keep at least 10 gallons in reserve in case of a party. Once folks get past the 3 glass rule, it disappears pretty quick!:drunk:

Ed - Have you ever figured out how many of your 1083 posts are from this thread? This thing has really grown since I found it after new years.

Schlenkerla said:
Ed - Have you ever figured out how many of your 1083 posts are from this thread? This thing has really grown since I found it after new years.

Good question, but I have not bothered to count them. I'm sure there is a good percentage from answering questions here and posting updates to the thread.

It's kind of cool how it's taken off. I was making this recipe back in the mid 90's when I got back from living in Germany for 5 years. Folks enjoyed it back then too, but the Internet was in it's infancy and I was a CompuServe geek (logged on for the first time in 1981).

The Net has changed Home brewing in such a big way.

So the main two things that we are looking for to indicate that the fermentation is complete are: 1. The juice clears and 2. the bubbles stop, right? BTW Ed, I am in ATX also and have noticed that neither has occurred by 4 weeks.

Do the bubbles totally stop or just slow down a lot when this is done?

DNisich said:
So the main two things that we are looking for to indicate that the fermentation is complete are: 1. The juice clears and 2. the bubbles stop, right? BTW Ed, I am in ATX also and have noticed that neither has occurred by 4 weeks.

Totally stop... and it clears... ALOT!

DNisich said:

Your fermentation temp is a big factor on how fast it gets done. Mine is still going and it will be 7 weeks tomorrow. The passing of bubbles thru the lock has slowed considerably though. At least 6 per minute. My basement is in the mid 50's

I imagine with where you're at it should be warmer. At least in the mid 60's.

My Sam's club doesn't carry Tree Top and I have yet to find any other juice that is completely addative free. I'm thinking I will make juice from frozen concentrate and proceed with Ed's original recipe from there. Does anyone see any problems with this?
Thanks

Schlenkerla said:
Your fermentation temp is a big factor on how fast it gets done. Mine is still going and it will be 7 weeks tomorrow. The passing of bubbles thru the lock has slowed considerably though. At least 6 per minute. My basement is in the mid 50's

I imagine with where you're at it should be warmer. At least in the mid 60's.

Perhaps this is why I had a blow off, its about 72-74F in the room that I'm fermenting in. Should it be cooler?

Branket said:
Perhaps this is why I had a blow off, its about 72-74F in the room that I'm fermenting in. Should it be cooler?

I don't think so. I think its OK. Ed could tell you. I had a post awhile back with range. It was from the yeast maker. I'm thinking it was about page 40. I'll check.

See post 548 for the Mfg'r Comments on temps. 86'F is the highest...

Balls-A-Doodle-Doo said:
My Sam's club doesn't carry Tree Top and I have yet to find any other juice that is completely addative free. I'm thinking I will make juice from frozen concentrate and proceed with Ed's original recipe from there. Does anyone see any problems with this?
Thanks

Nice to see another Iowan on the board!!! I bought my juice at the local Hyvee. They should have them in Ames. $2.50 a gal for Country Faire Cider or Juice. I found at least three brands to choose from w/o preservatives.

Branket said:

Nope, that temp is fine as mine ferments in that range too depending on the outside temp. In the summer time, my brew bench is right about that temp.

Balls-A-Doodle-Doo said:
I'm thinking I will make juice from frozen concentrate and proceed with Ed's original recipe from there. Does anyone see any problems with this?

Shouldn't be a problem. Just be sure to let it come up to room temp before you add your yeast. If it's too cold, it'll never start. I made that mistake 12 years ago. :(

DNisich said:

Yeah, our cooler weather has impacted the fermentation time, especially if you turn the thermostat down when you go to bed at night.

As the other folks mention, it's done when it clears and stops bubbling. I still have two batches from Jan. 15 & 16. They've cleared, but you can still see tiny champagne bubbles running up the side. I'll keg one this weekend to make room for primary bucket fermentor for beer this Sunday.

I would appreciate it if anyone with some experience with the Cotes Des Blanc yeast could tell me how vigorous a fermentation I should expect. I need my 6 gal carboy for a beer I am brewing this weekend, so I made my Apfelwein in a 5 gal carboy with about 4.5 - 4.75 gallons of juice. The temp of the liquid is 58-60 and will hold that temp pretty steadily. Can I expect to see any krausen in my airlock?

Back