Recipe formulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KUbrew

Reaction score
Well I've recently been given some grain but I have no real experience in creating recipes on my own. I would like to use the grain and random assorted selection of hops I have on hand to do an impromptu brew tomorrow. Any suggestions on a recipe would be appreciated.

As far as grain, I have pilsner, wheat and caramel 60.

My hops selection is:
-Crystal-0.5oz
-Fuggles-0.5oz
-Target-0.7oz
-Tetnang-0.25oz
-Williamette-0.85oz

I would like to get an early start on it tomorrow, but if I need wait and pick some ingredients when the LBHS opens I can. Thanks

Do a mild with the Pilsner and crystal. Throw in 18 IBU's of fuggles...Mmmmm...delicious. Ideally I'd throw some Chocolate Malt in there, but you can do without. What yeast do you have?

Perfect...

5.5 # pils
1.5 # crystal
Space out the 18-22 IBUS of Fuggles however you like.
Notty

90 min boil for the pils

I've made a similar brew, it's one of my favorites right now. I did 22 ibu's, but next time I'm going to lower it to get a bit less bitterness

OR...you could do a Smash brew. Those are always fun. Just use the Pils and choose a hop.

Sounds pretty good. I'm only getting to 8.6 IBUs with my 1/2 oz of Fuggles at 60min. What other hops would go good with that to get me around 20 IBUs?

Just scored some chocolate malt, I'm going to throw it in as you suggested. I can't believe how this one came together, it will probably be one of my best.

Alright, here's what I came up with. I decided to put in only Williamette because if I use all my .85 oz at 60 this puts me at right at 18 IBUs plus I clean up my inventory a little. I'm also thinking of replacing the notty with S-04. I have a notty cake I can put this on but I've also gotten some advice that S-04 would be good for this beer. I think this will be a last minute decision.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.24 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 20.52 %
5.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.24 %
0.85 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 17.9 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.035 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.009 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.48 %
Bitterness: 17.9 IBU
Est Color: 18.1 SRM

That's almost identical to the recipe I made myself. And is actually pretty close to Orfy's Mild, which everyone raves about...The main difference is he uses Maris Otter, but you are doing with what you got.

I thought it was delicious. Either yeast will work. I'd use the Notty, just personal preference.

Thanks for the help, I ended up throwing it on the nottingham cake just because it was easier. Next time I'll try the S-04. This beer looked and smelled great, can't wait to try it.

Back