Do you adjust sugar for root beer if kegging vs yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOP-HEAD

Reaction score
Should I reduce the qty of sugar in my root beer if I plan to keg rather than bottle with live yeast? The directions that came with my Old Fashion Root Beer say 4 gallons water, 1 bottle root beer extract, 8 cups sugar... but they are bottling directions that call for live yeast, which would "eat" a portion of that sugar....

Sorry if it's a dumb one... first sody-pop...

This is interesting. Since you are kegging, I would add less (7 cups) and then TASTE the results, because your root beer is going to taste about the same as far as sweetness goes. I can't imagine that yeast would eat that much sweetness away. On the plus side, if you use yeast you get alcoholic Root beer, right?

Technically there is alcohol in Root Beer. It's just a tiny amount. I'm just starting to explore soda making myself...but I believe the yeast is really just used for natural carbonation purposes, so they won't be eating that much away. From what I've read you do not need to adjust the sugar amounts if you are force carbing. This is per the book Homemade Root Beer & Soda Pop by Stephen Cresswell. Not much info on kegging homemade soda though.

Back