Old Ale label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3 Dog Brew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my most recent label attempt. I'm using PhotoImpact X3 since I can't figure out photoshop.

3dog%20BreweryLogo_Old%20Ale_Merged_Final2_small.png

The line of "Age Improves Complexity" was actually something a very attractive lady said to me just recently. I'm sure she wasn't taking about me, just to me...
which is a start.

Feedback welcomed, I'm starting on my Christmas ale label next (aged 12 months prior to "release").

I'm no math major, but I count 4 dogs. I also wouldn't put the website in that location, I'd hide it off to the side somewhere. Overall the label doesn't look bad, but it is rather dark.

very nice label. I got a kick out of you tag line. Site, Stay good beer. LOL

agree with grimm about moving the site name below old ale banner.

+1 on moving the site name out of the logo. The logo should never be interrupted ;)

In terms of the darkness, I think you're getting the age across with color and weathering on the paper surface. I think you could lighten it up a bit and bump the contrast, or adjust the levels to simply make it brighter.

By making it dark you are reducing the overall contrast and detail.

Otherwise I think it looks good.

I'd also ditch the "TM" unless you actually trade marked "3 Dog Brewery"

I'd also ditch the "TM" unless you actually trade marked "3 Dog Brewery"

TM can be applied without actually having a trademark in place. It's reserved that requires federal filing before you can apply it to your logo.

Most designers don't like it because it's superfluous text, but if you plan on registering your mark or creating a business at some point, I'd leave the TM up there.

TM can be applied without actually having a trademark in place. It's reserved that requires federal filing before you can apply it to your logo.

Most designers don't like it because it's superfluous text, but if you plan on registering your mark or creating a business at some point, I'd leave the TM up there.

To me it seems equivalent to putting the government warnings and a barcode on a homebrew label. But the great thing about most things in life, and especially this hobby is, to each his/yooper's own :mug:

Thanks for all the feedback/suggestions. Based on what you have provided, here is another attempt:
3dog%20BreweryLogo_StBernard_Draft.png

The images has been lightened, the web address removed, but the TM stays as I have found others attempting to use the 3 Dog Brewery name, and I want some leg to stand on if I ever get to open a brewpub.

Back